RE: HP Pavilion DV6-2012AX not posting

Hi all.. Just discovered this section of internet, News Groups. Need help in the repair of a HP DV6-2012AX notebook. Does not post. All lights on but no initial bost screen. Anyone know what or where I could find any information to start trouble shooting the motherboard? This series is designed andbuild by Quanta computers in taiwan.

any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
awni

This NG might not be the best source of help. Have you tried comp . sys . hp . hardware ? Or a forum at hp.com?

Reply to
spamtrap1888

You could also try here:

Bob_Villa

Thank you, this is a good start, I will visit these two news groups and look through them, much appreciated. Please do still list more news groups here if you can think of anymore.

Reply to
awni

With the lights on the computer, I would assume you mean the power on light? If there is power, and I would be using the power adapter, it could be several things. The first thing I would do however is to remove the RAM and reinstall it after cleaning the gold contacts with a pencil eraser. A poor contact to the RAM would provide the error you describe. You might also attach the laptop to another monitor via the video output connector. It could be your display is the failing part.

Knowing how old the computer was would also be helpful.

Reply to
Ken

Most likely the nvida video BGA chip has pins which have broken away from the motherboard. There are places in the U.S. that will do a competent repair and mod for $125.00. Chuck

Reply to
chuck

Not exactly your case but active and full of knowledge. alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Sorta. It's not really Nvidia's fault. Any of the large BGA chips have problems maintaining a connection to the PCB. The court settlement which extended the manufacturers warranty for such design screwups is long over.

The HP dv6 is not on the list of affected models, but is one that I've seen in the shop crap out in the same manner. You'll find vendors on ebay that will fix it. For example:

You can also try to fix it yourself with a hot air desoldering station. It's not easy or reliable.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

=20

yes, it is a solder joint problem, by accident I turned on the motherboard = without the heatsink and fan assembly, within about 10 seconds the motherbo= ard booted up. I then re-installed the heatsink and fan back on, while stil= l warm, the motherboard functioned perfect. Turned it off and let it cool d= own to room temp, then tried to power up, same fault, all lights on and no = post. after further inspection and testing found the Graphics IC to be at f= ault, needs reball and reflow. Same problem as all the damn ATI Graphics ca= rds with large heatsinks. Thank you all that have helped, your support is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
awni