What to do with left over components?

I appologise if this question seems off the group topic. However, I went to a couple of electronics groups that were on-topic. They were dead, only spam there. I at least know a number of bright and helpful individuals call this group home so thought I would try here.

I designed and manufactured a small run of prototypes for a customer. For one reason or another the customer does not need all the parts he originally asked me to build. Therefore, I have some components left over. Normally I would not bother. However, a few of the components are considered somewhat specialty devices. I have several thousand dollars wrapped up into new unbroken reels of parts that I have no use for. The customer and I came to an agreement and settled. But, I still have these pieces left.

I would like to sell them for a fair price but have no idea where I might do this. Do you? There must be some parts broker out there that will sell these for me assuming a modest commission.

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Gerbermultit00l

Reply to
Gerbermultit00l

Since you bought such a large qty yourself, you should be able to get that price for them on ebay or the like as the price for a single reel is far higher than the prices you likely paid for your qtys.

I would not give a break from what you paid.

You can also sell them to a "schlock house".

Reply to
ChairmanOfTheBored

e*Bay, if you can stand it. Amount of fuss and bother likely to be directly related to return (ie, a full reel is only one sale, but is probably not going to get you as much money as 40 lots of 100, or whatever).

Ecnerwal

"Parts broker"....So you move into a new house and pay thousands of dollars for furniture of various kinds. Later, you move elsewhere and want to sell that furniture. Well, you damn near have to pay to get rid of it. Parts brokers are near that level of integrity; you will be lucky to get ten cents on the dollar selling, and will have to pay 2-10 times retail if you want to buy...

Reply to
Robert Baer

You could post the details on sci.electronics.components (its not off-topic there) and maybe someone will find a useful match.

Reply to
Winfield

Or you could put the parts up on ebay AND inform the .components newsgroup about the offer. That would give you an instant bidder base (if the stuff is any good), because everybody here knows several people who know people...

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Robert Latest wrote:

Well, here's what the charter for these groups

*-*+only-advertise+sci.electronics.components-Integrated-*-*-*+individual-parts+*.*.not.a.forsale.group+zz-zz+Discussion has to say:

*********** Buying/selling is supposed to occur in the relocated misc.industry.electronics.marketplace group."

--------- misc.industry.electronics.marketplace Electronics products & services.

Advertisement and discussion for the buying, selling, and bartering of electronic components (integrated circuits, resistor, capacitors, etc.), electronics test equipment, electronics laboratory equipment, electronics industrial equipment, and services used for the production of electronics.

--------- Q. Should I only advertise in misc.industry.electronics.marketplace? A. That's the idea.

************
Reply to
JeffM

Yes.

I disagree. There's very little activity on sci.electronics.components; and for what is, much is oriented towards reselling components, which is well received. Over a 10-year period I've visited sci.electronics.components for both parts information and parts availability. OTOH, I have to say I've _never_ visited misc.industry.electronics.marketplace and probably won't. It's far too broad a charter for circuit-engineering components.

So, respectfully, I think some of the 15-year- old charter rules are way off base at this point. I say, let's let sleeping dogs lie, and go with what works. Plus, getting sales activity off sci.electronics.design is a good idea.

Reply to
Winfield

Breif details on here please. There will always be a couple of nannys who will complain long and loud (usually far more longwindedly than the original F/S post) but counter that with those of us who find those sorts of posts incredibly useful. Misc.industry.blah.blah is effectively a dead letter office. There really has to be a place for a broker free place to list surplus semis for peer to peer trading (I wonder what happened to electron-bay). M

Reply to
Piglit

If the parts are ROHS compliant, you can donate them to some wheenie leftists.

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Ooops - stuffed that one up - thought I was in S.E.Components which would be a good place for the component list, not here in S.E.design. M

Reply to
Piglit

You can include all of us (leftists?) in the USA, as I was told to provide ROHS compliant in six months.

Reply to
linnix

Thank you for the help and creative criticizm everone. I never intended to spam this group and advertise here. Was just wondering WHERE to advertise since sci.electronics.components seemed like a dead forum. I'll try some of the other ideas you gentlemen brought up.

Ge0

Reply to
Gerbermultit00l

Put the list on a website and post a link here?

Reply to
Barry Lennox

:On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:17:19 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com :wrote: : :>I appologise if this question seems off the group topic. However, I :>went to a couple of electronics groups that were on-topic. They were :>dead, only spam there. I at least know a number of bright and helpful :>individuals call this group home so thought I would try here. :>

:>I designed and manufactured a small run of prototypes for a customer. :>For one reason or another the customer does not need all the parts he :>originally asked me to build. Therefore, I have some components left :>over. Normally I would not bother. However, a few of the components :>are considered somewhat specialty devices. I have several thousand :>dollars wrapped up into new unbroken reels of parts that I have no use :>for. The customer and I came to an agreement and settled. But, I :>still have these pieces left. :>

:>I would like to sell them for a fair price but have no idea where I :>might do this. Do you? There must be some parts broker out there :>that will sell these for me assuming a modest commission. :>

:>Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. :>

:>Gerbermultit00l : :Put the list on a website and post a link here? :

Yes, just like this one

Ross Herbert

sci.electronics.components isn't dead at all, it's just quiet - most selling activity has moved to eBay. But we do check it out and if someone is interested they'll get in touch.

Reply to
Winfield Hill