Powersupply testing

I have a electronic load powersupply tester and was wondering how you go about setting it up? For a computer powersupply how would you set it. Do you set the resistance and for how much? How do you figure this out. Just measure the inputs on the computer? Does that give you a correct value? I need to set a 5 volt, 12 volt and 3.3 volt. Also do you set the amps or watts? So if it says 5 volts 12 amps. I just need to figure the resistance? and then set it for 12 amps? do I need to set the watts? Not much in the manual. They assume people know what they are doing. Also,

I have this powersupply that sometimes doesn't come on and sometimes does. If it isn't the solder joints how do you track this down? Anything in particular thing that determines what turns on the PS. It has a red LED and it will work a few times then not work. I take it to my bench and it comes on after turning the power on and off and waiting.

Thanks Uriah

Reply to
Uriah

Computer switching power supplies need a load to operate. The best way is to load the +5V line with (if i remember correctly) at least one amp. Naturally, for proper testing, you need to know the specifications of the supply being tested. Again a computer power supply voltages must be within ten percent except that the 5V must be within 5 percent; if there is a 3.3v output, i would expect (eg: guess) that it also be within 5 percent. Now there are noise specifications that are almost universeally ignored; it is rare that a voltage will be within tolerance but be too noisy. What the noise specs aer, i have no idea. Use your favorite search engine to get details.

Reply to
Robert Baer
5 volts feeding 12 amps means resistance is about .45 ohms. That .45 ohm resistor in power supply tester must be more than 60 watts. So, it is a fairly larger and warm tester.

Some power supplies require a load to operate; others not. This is a function unique to each power supply design.

What type of power supply? Computer? Open frame? Bench supply? Therefore every answer must be based in speculation and assumption.

If you d> I have a electronic load powersupply tester and was wondering how you

Reply to
w_tom

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. My powersupply tester is a variable load. It provides the load to the powersupply. It is a switch mode PS. This one is made for a arcade game with 3.3 volts, 12, 5, -5 VDC. They are the same as a computer PS with different connectors. I am just not Sure how to set it up? You can set the resistance, current, and watts on the tester. Of course I can measure PS input on the game pcb, but using a meter does not always show the true reactance. Or does it? This is what I am not sure of. Also do I set the amps and watts or just the amps? I think I set them for upto the rated current but do I need to set the watts? So you see where I am a little confused. Thanks Uriah

Reply to
Uriah

This sounds like a complex specialty tester costing maybe a thousand dollars. If adjustable settings are current and watts, then those two setting automatically define the load for a specific voltage. Generatlly when connector defines a load to one voltage, then only current is adjusted - watts is automatically known as part of that tester design.

Most power supply testers are > I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. My powersupply tester is a

Reply to
w_tom

"Uriah" wrote in news:1169760800.364603.58080 @l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

find and read the f'n manual.

me

I have the manual but it is from an Asian company and there is very little to it as far as examples on how to set it up.

It doesn't have a reactance setting. I just wasn't sure how to factor that in when setting the resistance or if you need to consider that when working on an embedded style controller.

It didn't cost that much. Around $450.00?

The adjustables are Resistance, Current, Watts So I think I need to set the resistance that compares with the board the PS ususally is plugged into. So I just measure the resistance with my meter for the 12, 5, -5, 3.3VDC? I get quite a difference. Is that the correct way for the resistance? I figure you just set the amps to what ever the PS is rated for. Or at least close to it? Then there is watts. Do I just leave that alone or set that set the Watts and leave the amps at 0?

Once I find the unit online I will put a link up to it. I have emailed and called the people who sold it to me but they never get back to me, yet.

Thanks Uriah

Reply to
Uriah

"Uriah" wrote in news:1170026838.501064.118620 @q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Well, without seeing the actual tester, it is hard to say exactly. As a guess I'd set the resistance based on what the supply is supposed to deliver. As an example if it has a 5 and 12 volt output rated for 20 and

12 amps respecively i'd use 5/20=.25 ohms for the 12 volt and 12/12=1 ohm for the 5 volt. For multi output supplies you might also have to avoid drawing too much overall power from it. Sometimes there are limits to the amount of power you can safely dray from some sets of outputs (usually on the label).

me

That's not much :-)

No. You want to measure the peak current during startup on each channel using a storage scope and then add 5% to it. Use this current to calculate the resistance using ohm's law.

A few percent higher, if possible and not hard limited.

I don't know the device. I only know you should polish your electrotechnical basics :-)

--
Joe
Reply to

I just want to thank everyone, (except for the "Read the F**manual" person:) for the help. I think if you saw the unit you would figure it out rather quickly. So I tracked it down. I got it at:

And it was only $350.00 plus shipping. The manual is there online. Feel free to give up on this. I think I have enough info to know how to use it. Thanks again Russ

Reply to
Uriah