power switch for B&D DB5400-1

The switch on my Dust Buster 5400-1 has become intermittent. A thorough cleaning and Caig-ing has not fixed it. (The battery pack is in great shape, so replacing the switch would be worthwhile.)

I've looked around but nobody has the switch (#22 on the exploded view). Yet another example of a manufacturer failing to supply parts for a fairly well-made product that should have a 25-year lifespan. (When I needed a replacement battery about 10 years ago, the local B&D store had it. Oddly, it was manufactured on my birthday.)

Other than tossing out a perfectly serviceable item -- any suggestions? Thanks.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Prresumably. But one can't automatically assume that.

It's a fairly large switch (not the stereotypical slide switch), and it's a two-pole triple-throw.

I checked several distributors and manufacturers. Most current (ar, ar) slide switches are miniature or sub-miniature, and have ratings of no higher than 300mA. One can be reasonably sure the BD pulls two or three times that. And most of the 2P3T switches I found were spring-loaded, etc.

I think I'll call Switchcraft tomorrow and see what they suggest. I'll also look at the switch again and see if there's a manufacturer or part number.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Nope. There are four pairs of contacts (left/right), and (as far as I can tell) a single slider that bridges two on a side at a time. The switch thus has three distinct positions. The purpose is to provide "normal" and "high-power" positions by changing the number of cells. *

After thinking some more, I realized the simplest solution is to drill a hole and insert a heavy-duty double-pole toggle switch that will bridge the switch contacts for high power.

  • This is, of course, bad design. If you use the vacuum mostly in normal mode, those cells will wear out much more quickly. Which I why I always run the unit in high.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck