pioneer laser disc player inoperative

pioneer CLD-D702 the front panel display works.the tray drawer opens and closes,loads a cd/laserdisc but the disc never spins. w/o any disc i can clearly see the laser assy hunting,trying to focus and a dim laser light. acccess to the power supply and boards are difficult so my question is where can i get advice/tute needed to narrow down the steps needed to locate the source of my problem. even test points to check the power supply board would be helpfull barry a retired tech.

Reply to
71chevyvan

I would first check the spindle motor. Try giving the disk a spin manually and see if it runs.

David

Reply to
David

I don't remember if this is the same model, but one of the early players with a laser diode had a problem with the switch that determined whether an LV or CD was inserted. If you played a CD, the unit would then refuse to play an LV, until you took off the cover and manually reset the mechanism (flipped the tray).

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Try cleaning the laser lens. Many (most?) CD/DVD players won't spin up unless they get an initial reflection from the disk.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

tried cleaning with no results. however the laser does glow while searching for focus etc.

Reply to
71chevyvan

nope.tried that when i tested to see if motor froze up.

Reply to
71chevyvan

good thought. i believe i am on side #1. w/a laser disc installed pressing button for side#2 lights the indicator but nothing happens mechanically. both lights remain lit. i wonder which screws i need to remove to seperate the mechanical assembly from the top of the boards. thats because there's no removeable bottom plate under the boards for me to take voltage readings.

Reply to
71chevyvan

an

mechanism

For what I suggest, you need only remove the top cover.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Does it actually achieve focus lock? I.e., the lens should pop up once and stay fixed, not repeatedly move up and down trying to find focus.

-- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: