Philips MC-110 micro midi style stereo.

TBH I'm not keen on working on audio stuff - especially ones that have mechanical bits and servos and stuff, so I may even weigh up the cost of someone else having a look against the price of a new one.

The CD plays normally for about an hour then the spindle motor gradually becomes erratic, slowing, stopping and occasionally going backwards, I've only had it about 4 years, which seems a bit soon to bin it so I wondered if its a stock fault anyone can tell me where to look for?

TIA.

Reply to
ian field

if

Prop it up at an angle for a few hours and see if the malfunction occurs much earlier or not at all then probably mechanical/ connection problem than electronic control problem. If mechanical then break/remake all connections would be a good start.

N Cook

When it first packed up I replaced it with a seriously cheap & nasty deck, so I carried on using the Philips speakers and put the old deck in the box with the tacky plastic speakers, recently I borrowed the tacky speakers and while I had the box open had another play with the Philips deck. Short of space to set it up in, it was on an uneven surface anyway and I patted it about a bit to see if there were any glaringly conspicuous dry joints/loose connections, its hard to tell with erratic behaviour but patting it about didn't make a noticeable difference.

Reply to
ian field

Hi Ian, how's it going ? Did you know that Steve is hoping to get T @ H going again soon as a web based publication? Different name again though ...

Is that one of the Philips units that has the three-player mech with the trays that slide over one another ? If so, it's quite likely that the laser is either dusty or worn. Be warned though that this is not an easy mech to dismantle to get at the laser. There are timing issues if you accidentally get it screwed up, which is easy enough to do, even without dismantling it. Unless you have the instructions, or have done a lot of them, you would never figure it out by trial and error ... Just as a matter of interest, the electronics and spindle motors on these are generally pretty reliable.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Its a single CD player with synth tuned AM/FM and cassette, the CD deck is on top and the "lid" flips up like the lid on a wheely bin, there's no CD transport system or drawer - the CD is simply put on the exposed hub.

When the spindle turns correctly it plays ok although I did try one of those laser cleaning disks with the little brushes on and a bottle of iso-propyl.

Reply to
ian field

Ah, OK. I know which one it is now. It's worth just giving the lens a 'proper' clean with IPA and a cotton bud. I've never been much enamoured with the bristled cleaning discs. At best they don't do a very good job, and at worst, I've seen the bristles get caught in a laser's superstructure, and do damage to the lens carrier ...

Beyond that, the most likely problem is the laser itself. Stopping reading after some period of operation, is a fairly common failure mode.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Would a faulty laser cause the spindle motor to become erratic?

The disk reads OK until the spindle motor starts playing up.

Reply to
ian field

I fixed a "Hifi separates" CD player with identical symptoms a few years ago. It had a pair of transistors (one NPN one PNP, to + and - rails) driving the spindle motor, and one was leaky (getting worse when hot).

It's the only CD player I've ever seen where the spindle motor run the wrong way at any time.

Mike.

Reply to
Remove _ for valid address

It is very common for the motor to run backwards on any make and model, when the spindle servo loses lock. The spindle motor running 'erratically' is more likely to be a symptom, rather than the cause. Control of the spindle servo is as a direct result of correctly decoding the servo control info in the recovered data stream. If the data stream starts to become corrupt to the point where the software and hardware error correction systems can no longer derive valid control data, the servo will lose lock, and the rotational speed will become erratic. This further exacerbates the situation, until the whole servo loop goes unstable, which is when the disc is likely to either start spinning backwards, or comes to a stop with twitches or pulses of brief rotation. The commonest cause for the data becoming corrupt, is a defective laser. That's not to say that a similar problem *can't* be caused by a defective motor, or the external control circuitry, which these days is either contained all in one chip, or in a servo processor chip plus a motor driver chip.

Usually, problems with the motor itself, are confined to DVD players, where they are worked much harder with the higher rotational speed involved, so tend to have a shorter lifespan. I have had faulty motors on CD players - notably the Pioneers from a few years back, and some Panasonics - but on other makes and models, they are fairly rare, compared to bad lasers. Usually, if you have a motor problem, it will start to show on later tracks on a long disc. This is because CD players use constant angular velocity, which means that the disc rotates slower as the laser moves towards the outside of the disc. Any brushgear wear leading to poor motor performance, shows up worse at lower rotational speeds. You can get an idea if this is the problem, by playing a couple of tracks at the start of a long disc, to warm up the motor, then forward skipping straight away to a late track near the end. A dicky motor will usually show up at that point. If it doesn't immediately start giving trouble, you might also find that it has become very 'tap sensitive' at this point, as the data is getting close to being compromised by poor rotational stability.

Poor motors also often show a marked increase in commutation noise, measured with a 'scope directly across the motor terminals. If you can find either a testpoint or an IC pin marked "RF", you can perform a more 'technical' diagnosis by observing the eye pattern on this point. Well defined and stable 'diamonds' in the pattern indicate stable rotational speed. Twittering of, or the diamonds looking out of focus, particularly on later tracks, can indicate a poor motor. The size of the RF waveform is a good indicator of laser condition. On most players, if there is a testpoint, the expected level on it is about 0.8 to 1.2v p-p. If the level drops off over playing time, this normally indicates a worn laser.

Hope that clears up a few points, and helps with getting to the bottom of it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily