Philips 32PT663R37A

I've had this flat screen CRT TV for many years of satisfactory service. Last night the power relay clicked and the screen blanked for a few seconds; returned to normal. Repeated a hour later. I'm assuming the TV went into protection mode. I'd like to think that cleaning dust from the HV area might solve the issue.

2 questions: Am I on the right trrack? I'd check for bad caps visually [I have an ESR as well], etc. but probably would not go much further. Given the size of the TV I must have prevailed on a helper to get this up on its table. It is awkward, heavy and difficult for me to move by myself. I no longer have an available helper [wife has a bad back]. How do you tackle moving these monsters? [I may just give it away to someone capable of moving it and replace with a lighter wieght LED model.] Thanks for any advice on either issue.
Reply to
John Keiser

I was able to strong arm the TV on its table to gain access and remove the case. [I never would have been able to pick up and place on the floor.] The HV section had, indeed, accumulated a nice thick coating of dust. I cleaned up. No bad caps observed. Works OK now but time will tell.

Reply to
John Keiser

Reply to
John Keiser

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 08:05:39 -1000, "John Keiser" put finger to keyboard and composed:

This appears to be the service manual (L01.1U AC Chassis):

Page 10 in this document discusses how protection works:

Google turns up numerous hits related to protection (some are even relevant):

There is a tech tip in this document that may be worth looking at:

Problem: Shuts down as soon as the picture comes on.

Fix: Replaced Resistor 3451 and Diode 6447, then had to use FMR to put unit in factory mode to adjust screen to a point just below retrace.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Franc,

Thank you for the service manual link I will ponder. The TV works fine when it is turned on, only much later momentarily turning off. So the service hint from GEDA about turning off immediately is probably not my situation. Several of the google + protection mode hits are my inital post here! The schematic is useful. Thanks!

John Keiser