Oxidisation of Seagate & WDC PCBs

I just removed the PCB from a WD200EB-75CSF0 20GB drive. Tin plating on both the PCB contacts and the mating pin array going into the HDA assembly. No gold or silver.

However, there's one extra item that hasn't entered the discussion. There was a sheet of foam something between the PCB and the HDA. In this case, it was quite clean and dry, but it wouldn't take much for most any liquid to get absorbed by the foam and rot out the board. There was a cut-out hole around the connector area, so there was no common points of contact, but it was close enough that any volatiles would certainly enter the connector area.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

20Gb sounds like an old drive. Those were made before this "invention."

My brand spanking new drive was purchased from Amazon 4 days ago and the manufacturing date is something like a month back. I bought it for a router I'm building for my recently acquired /28 CIDR IP block on Intel D510MO Athom board and Intel dual gigabit ethernet adapter (BTW, I highly recommend that motherboard--it is a small miracle in a huge heap of manure selling these days.) That means it is _ABSOLUTELY_ the "latest and greatest," not something dug out of old junk heap. And it is retail.

That means it definitely comes like this right from the manufacturer. I have serious doubts that it got that tarnished by a mere negligence. They supposed to have clean rooms there and those drives are packed in airtight bags. I have a lot of silver plated parts at home in usual zip lock bags and even without any bags and they don't get this black in years less for a mere month...

*  KSI@home    KOI8 Net  < >  The impossible we do immediately.  *
*  Las Vegas   NV, USA   < >  Miracles require 24-hour notice.   *
Sergey Kubushyn