Over Voltage / Amperage DC power converter

I have a non mission critical device (a "Super Bark Free" ultra sonic dog anti-bark trainer) that as an alternative to battery power calls for a

200mA 6V DC power converter.

I am wondering if I might get away with a higher powered converter. For instance, I have an old PC speaker wall wart DC converter that is 300mA at

9 volts.

Will most low power devices like this tolerate a 50% over volt and over amp, or would it likely result in a quick failure of the device?

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.

The current rating of the power supply is unimportant - sort of - as long as it is at least enough. I say "sort of", because it depends on whether or not the supply is regulated. If it is, then it doesn't matter how little, or how much, up to the rated current level, that you draw from it. The voltage will remain at 9v give or take. If the supply is unregulated, then the chances are that it will be rated at 9v nominal, only when it's loaded close to its maximum. At lower currents, the voltage could well be 20% above that, particularly with small transformers which are notorious for poor load regulation. So the output could easily be up around 11v when lightly loaded.

Your bark trainer might well tolerate this, even though it represents getting on for 100% over-voltage, but it is a risk that I don't think I would want to take for the sake of shelling out the small amount that a suitable 6v regulated wall wart would cost.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Thanks for that. Sometimes I am too cheap for my own good.

--
Tony Sivori
Due to spam, I\'m filtering all Google Groups posters.
Reply to
Tony Sivori

Any 6 or maybe 7.5 V max supply that is capable of providing at least

200 ma should work, assuming the connector is correct. Most supplies have the center conductor as +, but not all so be sure to check.
Reply to
hrhofmann

I have good luck finding wall-warts at certain thrift shops, FWIW.

Reply to
Bob F

Good suggestion. One should take along a multimeter to check their polarity and no-load voltage.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Or just take the whole box home when they are giving them away.

Michael A. Terrell