OT: Cutting Glass Bottle with NiCr wire Heater

I never had much luck cutting glass with those cheap cutters...but I always thought it was me, not the cutter.

Then one day I *had* to have a piece of dimensional glass. After shattering two or three old windows I had laying around, I hit on the idea of grabbing my diamond engraver (the kind shaped and sized like a pencil, which you use to scratch your initials and SSN into things likely to get stolen). It worked a charm. The edges of the cut are a little rough, but given that most panes are set into something, that's not usually an issue.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Found this on e-bay.

or

Think it is worth trying? Think it will work okay? I have thought about gathering a bunch of bottles up and just renting a tile saw to do this. My jig I made with a glass cutter doesn't seem to work. I can score the glass but I can't get it to break off. This bottle cutter doesn't seem to work much different than what I built.

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

If you use uniform bottles of relatively thin glass, it should work fine. You can cut the threads off mayonnaise jars all day long. As you get to thicker glass and less uniform with bubbles or embossed areas, it takes more skill and your breakage will be higher. Unfortunately, most bottles that are interesting enough to want to turn into tumblers are thicker and less uniform. The diamond blade saw will cut it perfectly every time, so the one-of-a-kind bottle you really don't want to bust will cut nicely. You'll still have to smooth the edges slightly, but they'll be much nicer than trying to deal with the edges left by a cutter.

my 2 cents

Reply to
T o d d P a t t i s t

Don't connect the wire to line (mains) power, that would be really quite dangerous. What you could use is either the 3.3V, 5V or 12V of an old PC power supply, or otherwise a few D-size NiCd cells.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

Back in the 60's, there was a kit you could buy to turn wine bottles into drinking glasses. It had a scoring wheel mounted in a cheap gig (as mentioned by Mikek400) so you could roll the bottle over the wheel. The kit also had a "hammer", which was a spherical hunk of metal on an

8" wire "handle". Immediately after the score was made, you put the sphere down inside the bottle (it was just small enough to fit through the neck), and clonked the glass at the location of the score. It usually worked, and was MUCH simpler than rigging up a hot wire cutter.

default wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey