OT: consumer RFID tags and readers

I'm getting tired of misplacing things. The other day I had the remote for my Parasound C2 in my hand -- and it disappeared. I still haven't found it.

I spent a few minutes Googling RFID and related subjects. As far as I can tell, there are no consumer products that let you tag your property. Furthermore, sensing the tag at any more than a few inches requires a fair amount of power.

I don't want this to turn into a megillah. I just want to know if there's any reasonably priced (under $200) system available that can detect RFIDs at about 1m.

Thank you.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

t.

I know this isn't the kind of help you asked for, but I couldn't stop myself - if you lose it every time you lay it down, don't lay it down, take it with you. A vest with 22 pockets for your stuff.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

Buy some of those key locators. I've seen them advertised with four receivers, and a key fob transmitter with four buttons for about $25.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

On 2/4/2009 9:15 AM Michael A. Terrell spake thus:

So what about a locator for the key-fob transmitter, when you inevitably misplace *that*?

And then a locator for the locator for the ...

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Actually, I have a GE. It came in handy when my car keys disappeared a few months back. (The universal remote control it comes with was of surprisingly high quality, with an outstanding key layout.)

The problem is that the fobs are just too big to put on most items, whereas the RFID tags can be attached to almost anything.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If you are losing that many things you either need to clean the junk out of your house, or move into a nursing home.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

Put the transmitter fobs on a key rack, or in the drawer in one of your end tables. You only need them when you've lost one of the tagged items.

BTW. I've noticed that most new cordless phones have a locator button on the base. :)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
The first sign of insanity is denying that you\'re crazy.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The former. It's an uphill, but I'm finally making progress...

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

whereas

You don't understand. You have to attach the fob to the thing you don't want to lose. The fobs are large items; they are not little tags.

If you know of a system that uses small adhesive tags that can be detected from about 1m, please let me know what it is.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Me too, between illnesses. :(

aioe.org, Goggle Groups, and Web TV users must request to be white listed, or I will not see your messages.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

There are two kinds of people on this earth: The crazy, and the insane. The first sign of insanity is denying that you're crazy.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I moved twice over the last year. Moving forces one to clean a lot a junk out, though much is still packed (and I can never find tools so am constantly buying more). Fortunately, the only real illness I've ever had was two years ago and that was only a few months (and I had nine months off work to clean out all the junk ;-).

Reply to
krw

Elektor magazine have done a lot of articles on RFID reading, and I seem to recall that they did a reader project not too long ago. I can't remember the range that it worked over, but I do remember an article where they described the system that is used in many warehouses for stock control, where RFID tags are read at distance, as the goods pass by on fork lifts or conveyors or whatever. Elektor has just become available in the US. Recommended reading if you like to be right up there with cutting edge technology, and home construction projects which use it.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

the

described

Thanks.

About 15 years ago I did a review for Elektor, of the Heath "Most-Accurate Clock".

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I did a move about three years ago that left me still looking for things I 'thought' I had, things I wish I still had, replacing things I threw away...and still WAY too much stuff that I should have tossed.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I still don't have an answer to the original question. Does anyone know?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Every once in a while I wished I had some small parts I threw out on the first move in '07. They hadn't been used in the fifteen years since the previous move so it would likely have cost more to move them than to buy new anyway. Buying tools that I know I already have somewhere in a box is a PITA though. Oh, well, one can never have too many tools. ;-)

Reply to
krw