OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

What is the best way to protect bare steel metal surface (IT RUSTS
EASILY) for use in woodworking ?   It is on a band saw.

Bee's Wax ?

Suggestions please.

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

https://www.travers.com/prevent-rust-631/p/81-006-001/?msclkid32%b87b87729914b9abc825bbd6137d47&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BPA%20-%20Brands%20-%20Tooling%20Components%20and%20Workholding&utm_term45%84826052967624&utm_content=BPA%20Brand%20-%20Tooling%20Components%20and%20Workholding%7C10-20%7CC%3A45

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

Tom has an excellent suggestion. However, when I worked as a machinist, we used a dry silicon spray for that purpose.

https://www.zoro.com/lps-dry-film-silicone-lubricant-aerosol-01616/i/G1377537/feature-product?gclid=Cj0KCQiAsvTxBRDkARIsAH4W_j_ngWbb5XCSIEzieOynkomCz-DfRLRvNmu4D0kKA_JvSgyD2OS8nXoaArKVEALw_wcB

We needed a material that did not attract or entrap dust.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

One does NOT want to get silicone on any wood that is going to be
finished (stained, varnished, oiled).

A classic approach is paste floor wax, e.g., Butcher's.

Try a woodworking newsgroup.

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

"Sheet metal surfaces"

Not wood. Which does not rust in any case.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

You put the silicone on the steel table (the only unpainted surface on a
woodworking machine), then push wood across the table and you have
silicone on the wood.

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?
Any product for the purpose would have the same result.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

Best way depends entirely on your app, which you have not clarified. Teflon coated, gold plated, powder coated, oil, wax, paint, zinc, chrome, brass, burnt oil, any might be the best in your case.

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

A thin layer of cabinet grade plywood.

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

That prevents rust?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

You are as stupid as ever. All the other methods given in other posts will
contaminate the wood. With the plywood cap in place, you can treat the meta
l with anything you want without the contamination problem. Just as a good
condom would have prevented your dad from contaminating the gene pool.

Re: OT Best way to protect bare metal surface for use in woodworking ?

Blueing?

https://www.wikihow.com/Blue-Steel

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

What part of the band saw?  Steel, stainless, cast iron, pot metal,
saw blade, etc????  It helps to know what you're trying to protect.
Also, some of the coating methods I suggested below are not
appropriate for some flavors of steel.

Cold bluing or passivation is probably the easiest, cheapest, and
least protective method of protecting steel.  The problem with wood
working machinery is that it will abrade away the surface coating,
expose the underlying steel, and proceed to rust.  Hot bluing is more
durable but requires multiple layers of bluing:
<https://www.wikihow.com/Blue-Steel

If you want better protection, I suggest:
1.  Nickel electroplating.
2.  Black chrome plating over nickel.
3.  Powder coated paint.

If you need the surface to absorb oil for lubrication, I suggest
Parkerizing:
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkerizing

Nickel plating, you can probably it do yourself at home.
<https://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/nickel-plating-kits/nickel-electroplating-kits.html
The others, I suggest you send the unspecified band saw part to a
plating shop and have them plate it.

For powder coating paint:
<https://www.eastwood.com/hotcoat-powder-coating.html
or ask at your local automobile paint shop.

If you don't mind re-coating the steel part, try one of the rust
inhibiting sprays or coatings.  For example:
<https://www.wd40.com/products/corrosion-inhibitor/

Also see:
<https://www.finishing.com