OT: AC Current Measurement?

I think I know the answer to this one, but I wanted to check. Using a Clamp-on MM, on a single phase 220VAC, static load, no motor. Attempting to measure actual current usage.

Measure each side and add them together or measure one side and use that?

Reply to
Eric Vey

Measure one side. The opposite side just completes the circuit back to the source.

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

DaveM

Exception would be if the equipment does connect to the Neutral and some parts of it run on only one side (115 VAC).

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Let's assume they are balanced. If one "leg" says 1 amp, then the total amount used (for both legs attached to the appliance) is 1 amp? And in an hour that is 1 Ah? Even though both legs are pulling the same amount at the same time?

Just checking.

Reply to
Eric Vey

Yes. Think of the 230 VAC line as the secondary of a transformer (which it is). Then, with no Neutral, the currents must be equal.

:)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Okay, yup, yup, yup. I got it now. Thanks, Sam!

Reply to
Eric Vey