Oreck XL Professional Air Purifier Fan has only one speed

Anybody have a schematic for the fan driver circuitry for this item?

No matter what the switch is set at, the fan runs at medium speed, and not well at that.

A schematic would let me know if voltages on the driver are correct, or not.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Macy

Had to answer my own question here, since oddly, no answers came in for this one.

Problem is now solved.

The fan's bearings slightly 'gummed' up with time. Then, no mtter what the speed setting, the fan ran, but made a 'hum-like' noise and ran at almost a single speed - too slow for fast, about right for medium, and too fast for silent. Always making that AC mains based tone. All very misleading observations that suggested the electronic drive failed.

Solved problem by soaking the bearings at each end of the squirrel cage fan [not very serviceable parts, but almost accessible] then the fan was back to proper operation.

Lesson learned: Don't jump to conclusions. Mechanical almost always fails first, then Electrical.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Macy