Onkyo HDMI board cooling

Hi, may I ask for some advice? I have an Onkyo 5009 AV Reciever with the ve ry common problem of overheating HDMI board. You can see it just under the grill for cooling in the case. I have an infrared heat sensitive camera and discovered there are several small ic's that get very hot very quickly- i. e. 70-80c. The ICs are very small, 10mmx10mm up to 10mmx16mm and thereabout s but there is space of about an inch above so room for a heat sink maybe? What would you chose to do? Fit heat sinks to those chips(if there are any small enough) or fit fans directly above the board? I'd really welcome your advice.?

Steve

Reply to
lmmcams

very common problem of overheating HDMI board. You can see it just under th e grill for cooling in the case. I have an infrared heat sensitive camera a nd discovered there are several small ic's that get very hot very quickly- i.e. 70-80c. The ICs are very small, 10mmx10mm up to 10mmx16mm and thereabo uts but there is space of about an inch above so room for a heat sink maybe ? What would you chose to do? Fit heat sinks to those chips(if there are an y small enough) or fit fans directly above the board? I'd really welcome yo ur advice.?

The ICs can safely run at those temps, but the cooler they run, the longer they should last theoretically. I wouldn't worry about it unless that rece iver is known to have failures on that board.

A surprisingly small amount of airflow will reduce the temps more than you might expect. A small fan could cool the whole board at once. I have a col lection of small stick-on heatsinks that were used on plasma scan ICs that I keep for projects. A tiny drop of heat sink compound and a bit of clear RTV on the corners will locate the heat sinks down.

Reply to
John-Del

Reply to
pfjw

very common problem of overheating HDMI board. You can see it just under th e grill for cooling in the case. I have an infrared heat sensitive camera a nd discovered there are several small ic's that get very hot very quickly- i.e. 70-80c. The ICs are very small, 10mmx10mm up to 10mmx16mm and thereabo uts but there is space of about an inch above so room for a heat sink maybe ? What would you chose to do? Fit heat sinks to those chips(if there are an y small enough) or fit fans directly above the board? I'd really welcome yo ur advice.?

It's the larger BGA chips that suffer from the heat. Recent vintage Onkyo's are notorious for this.

Reply to
Mark Zacharias