On demand 12V fan control

Under therrmistor control. If at power up the DC voltage is too low to start the fan can you always rely on the fan starting at some point with a slowly increasing voltage or does it depend on the make/design of fan ?

Reply to
N_Cook

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:07:03 +0100, "N_Cook" put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, here is an article that shows the innards of a typical thermistor controlled CPU fan:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Some Studiomaster Powered Mixers used to adopt this method - the fan would sit there shaking like a shiteting dog, often making various squeeks, before finally getting going. It was driven by a TIP32.

I have no idea whether they specifically chose a fan that would always start though.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

"Gareth Magennis"

** A great many power amplifiers have the same kind of circuit.

BLDC fans start reliably when the applied DC voltage is about 33% of ated - no matter how slowly the voltage rises.

IOW there is no need for a kick start.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison