Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

On 8/17/2007, Smitty Two posted this:

Although my newsreader displays *word* in bold and /word/ in italics (if I let it).

Hmmm - I've never tried both, like this: /*word*/ (looks like a comment to me!)

*/word/*

I'll look at them when the message up shows in the NG...

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

On 8/17/2007, Gene E. Bloch posted this:

Both are in bold + italic here.

Well, to be 100% accurate, the first is in italic + bold :-)

BTW, the reason I had to wait until I could read it in the NG is that this reader (MesNews) displays bold, italic, and smileys as straight text in the composition window.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Yeah, OK! Just messin' with ya! Really, I don't have a problem with my LCD monitors. Both of them look just fine. But subjectively, a CRT picture just has something that makes it a little more 'human' to my perception. I would guess that it's the same as CD versus vinyl, where the vinyl has a 'warmer' sound (oddly, Steve Wright was discussing exactly this on his BBC radio programme today, and it was his opinion that CD sounded 'cold' compared to vinyl). Another example might be programme material shot on video tape, versus that shot on film stock. Outdoor scenes in particular always have a flat, cold, unrealistic look to them, when shot on video, but I'm sure that you would probably be able to apply your 'more accurate not lifelike' analysis to these examples as well. Anyway, all of this is causing me to lose the will to live now, and I'm done with it. I think we better just settle on agreeing to differ ... Later

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

So I guess that's why the common convention is to use slashes and asterisks. I never knew that some newsreaders actually interpreted these as such. Learn something new every day ! So that does leave capitalization free for 'shouting' ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On 8/17/2007, Arfa Daily posted this:

:-)

You could always put in metacommands, like below:

I noticed in configuring something on the Mac a couple of days ago (I forget what, sorry) that stars can bracket bold words and underscores can bracket italics in that app. I think this newsreader displays _word_ as an underscored word, but I won't know until I read it as an incoming article, as before.

I knew about stars for emphasis, but I didn't know about displaying it as bold type until I started using MesNews a couple of years ago.

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

Just goes to show how many years you can use something for, and still not know all about it. The underlining thing is yet another one to add to my knowledgebase. So I wonder if you can both bracket and slash either side to ensure that it will get read as italics in either variety of reader. And then again, can you add stars as well for bold and italics ?

Arfa

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Senior moment. That should of course, have read "underscore and slash". I hate getting old ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

On 8/21/2007, Arfa Daily posted this:

Just to make you feel younger:

*/_test phrase_/*

For some reason, I felt I had to do LIFO on the markers :-)

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino)
letters617blochg3251

LOL ! Thanks. Feeling better now ...