Notebook freezing when connected to external power supply

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 - S4777 that works perfect while on battery, but the instance i plug the charger in, it freezes. First i thought it was a Vista-Toshiba issue but only to discover that even in BIOS it freezes instantly when the charger is plugged in. When the laptop is off, any attempt to power it on while the charger is plugged in, results only in a flicker of the power led. I tried different chargers, ANY possible power options combinations in Vista and Win7.

If I boot from battery and enter Windows Safe Mode, or Hiren's boot CD, or WinXP mini all works fine even if I connect the power cord, where normal Windows and BIOS freeze istantly.

I'm even thing of giving current directly by the battery contacts... may this be possible?

Any help or advice on possible causes or solution to this issue would be grateful. Thank you :)

Reply to
Mike De Petris

What do you mean by freezing, there are devices sold that either heat or cool, but those are normally sold as refrigerators and heaters. Do you mean the mouse stops moving, or what????

Reply to
hrhofmann

yes the computer stops working, hangs.

Reply to
Mike De Petris

If the charger is not plugged into the wall when you insert it into your Toshiba, does the PC hang? I'm thinking the socket in the Toshiba may be shorting out in some fashion when a plug, dead or alive, is inserted.

Reply to
Bennett Price

no, I tried keeping the charged plugged into the notebook with mains disconnected, and it works normally with battery, hang occurs as soon as I connect the charger to the mains

Reply to
Mike De Petris

Let me see if H ave this right.

With the charger plugged into the lap top, but NOT connected to the mains, the laptop functions properly.

If you plug the power supply into the mains, the laptop goes stupid and hangs up.

IF that's the case, I would suspect that something is wrong with the charging supply. Such as the voltage is way high, causing the laptop top get annoyed and hang up.

Have you measured the charger output with no load on it? (I.e. not plugged into the laptop.)

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus

Uninstall the Toshiba Power Managemnt utility if you have it installed. If that fixes it try reinstalling it. If you don't have the utility installed go to Toshiba and see if it is available for your

205 and the Vista platform.
Reply to
Meat Plow

I measured the voltage and it's normal, tried several chargers anyway

Reply to
Mike De Petris

I have plain Windows 7 installed at the moment, no Toshiba nor other utilities, even never connected to the network.

Anyway it freezes even in the BIOS when connecting power.

Reply to
Mike De Petris

Good call, thanks Jamie.

Jeff

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus

.

I'm testing it with a plain Windows 7 installed on a new hdd, never connected network, never installed other drivers or software.

ost

Even if it's plain Windows 7?

No windows update, no driver nor software installations done.

Of course it's possible.

of

As I wrote, if I boot using battery and enter BIOS, it freezes when I connect power.

As I wrote, safe mode works ok even if connecting power.

I installed a new hard disk, so do you think I should install Toshiba utilities in Seven?

Reply to
Mike De Petris

You said that this problem didn't occur with certain software -- only BIOS and W7. Which suggests a software problem.

Toshiba notebooks have not generally have this problem. You could push and pull the AC adapter's plug all day long, and the computer didn't mind.

I suspect the software interprets the tiny "glitch" when the plug is inserted (or removed) as a power loss, or a command to switch to Sleep/Standby.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Its your power management drivers and GUI software that is a problem.. uninstall and install the original drivers from the CD's or web sight for that laptop.

Since the unit seems to be locking, the driver software could be most likely is the issue and maybe proprietary to that lap top

Things like this happen after a Windows update, unexpected error on the HD, some one removed something they shouldn't of or, a funny program is running on board..

It's possible a bad onboard support circuit but I doubt that very much.

A simple test to prove this would be to boot to bias so the basics of the machine is on and energize the charger to see if a lock takes place there. Next, boot into safe mode, and try the same thing.. If all is ok up to this point. correct the software on board.

Have a good day.

P.S. some Laptops have a partition on the HD that has special set up software at boot time to configure the proprietary onboard chips.. This also could be an issue..

Reply to
Jamie

Does the hard drive light come on solid when it freezes, indicating it is in some sort of loop, or does it go out, or does it flash intermittently indicating it is not locked up?

Reply to
hrhofmann

IOS

and

it stays turned off, after lock up I see glowing these LED:

- power on

- power connected

- battery charging (if battery present)

Reply to
Mike De Petris

What laptop(s) would have this feature?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Compaq, they were nortorious for having a special partition they would fail to boot if they didn't find.

Jeff

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus

I've never owned a Compaq laptop but working in the industry when Compaq was the workstation of choice I would have thought I'd read about it somewhere. This must have been really proprietary as I've never heard of a chipset needing to load code from a fixed drive during boot. Can you give me an example of a model number and year and what operating system? Not that I don't believe you I'm just a bit taken back that onboard chips could be so proprietary that they couldn't be produced with their own non-volitile embedded instruction sets.

Reply to
Meat Plow

The Compaq Presario series comes to mind. They had a special 1-2 meg partition on the hard drive that the bios looked for and not finding, would hang the system. "OS NOT FOUND"

I found out the hard way, loading SCO Unix on one, going through the entire ordeal of loading the operating system (and mistaking wiping the service partition, then rebooting and finding I had to (a) replace the service partition and reload the service software and (b) start from scratch again with SCO Unix install.

Jeff

--
?Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.?
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Reply to
Jeffrey D Angus

Jeffrey D Angus Inscribed thus:

I remember those ! Caused all sorts of mayhem. If I recall the trick was to wipe the MBR and sys the drive from a floppy boot disk.

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.