"non-captivating" captive nuts

Twice in 2 weeks problems due to captive nuts dropping off and landing in mains/ 450V supply areas of combo units.

These days , when coming across any captive nuts, I tend to wrap some gaffer/duck/duct tape around and 2 pierce throughs, for the bolt - any other ideas?

First one due to owner tinkering and not knowing that he'd dislodged an edge wrap-around type one, when he re-fitted in casing. Just replaced th e bolt into free air.

This one (apparently) dislodged itself. The type with 2 diametrically opposite tangs that engage in a square hole in the chassis and a square nut floating in the captive part. Can anyone say the following is possible ever witnessed? Unnoticed, bolt undoes , due to vibration and protrudes outwards. Normal handling of the case or knocking in transport, the protruding head of bolt is pushed inwards, releasing the tangs, captive nut then continues undoing, in use, till free.

N_Cook

other

edge

nut

first type , like this

second type , like these

N_Cook

a Spire clip

The second type are caged nuts for using in 19" racks, I`ve seen them in some cabineted up gear, but they rarely fall out of their own accord, in fact they are buggers to get out without the correct tool (or a craftily modded pair of pliers)

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

[...]

:>> -- :>> Diverse Devices, Southampton, England :>> electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list on :>>

:>>

:>>

:>>

:> :> :> first type , like this :>

: : :a Spire clip : :> :> second type , like these :>
:> :> : The second type are caged nuts for using in 19" racks, I`ve seen them :in some cabineted up gear, but they rarely fall out of their own :accord, in fact they are buggers to get out without the correct tool (or :a craftily modded pair of pliers) : :Ron(UK)

Type 1 I find are quite prone to "pop out" particularly if screws are removed frequently.

I have never seen the 19" rack type "pop out" in 20 odd years of using them. While the correct tool does make it easier to insert and remove them a small flat blade screwdriver works quite well - although some care is required to avoid damage to fingers etc. Just insert screwdriver under one tang and lever upwards and the tang disengages and then the other simply pops out with finger pressure.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I have, but only when some id10t bent them with pliers to install them.

If you have broadband, your ISP may have a NNTP news server included in your account:

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming' sheep.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I have seen some of these cagenuts pop out when the wrong type has been used. There are different types for different thicknesses of rack strip. Use those designed for thin strip on a thick strip and the shorter tangs do not locate properly on the back of the strip and can be popped off too easily.

I have also found on the odd occasion that the cage on the cagenuts gets damaged, and the square nut is able to slide out, obviously only when the bolt has been removed.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis