Neighbor's Stereo System Interferes With CH2 TV Reception

Since this person is causing interference in the VHF band, you can not only call your local police about the noise ordinance, you can consult with the FCC and file a complaint there if you have to. You are in most cases obligated to complain to them directly first, so that they cannot claim being "unaware" of the situation.

I know just the type you are dealing with, and I empathise. If authorities won't respond to this, petition your neighbors and his for a formal complaint to the mayor's office if you have to. Be sure to include the TV interference in the complaint, and send a copy to the FCC.

Keep making consistent complaints relentlessly, even have the officer see you first so they can hear what you hear. Tell them about how many times you have complained about this and how there has been no compliance. If police simply will not acknowledge the public nuisance, go to the mayor, go to the FCC. The more people complain about it, the more they have to do to stop it. Look ion your phone book's white-pages government section for possible hotlines that can act most directly toward this problem.

If worst comes to worst, document the noise level on camera along with the TV interference, and possibly a hidden camera as you inform them of the problem (calmly and non-confrontationally). Then you can document their failure to comply after a reasonable request. Getting that noise-level reading on tape is golden. Then once you have gained irrefuteable evidence of them being a public nuisance, consult a lawyer with what evidence you have gathered, including statements from any neighbors, or at least a signed petition (easier to get signatures than statements, yet statements are more powerful because those willing to make a statement are usually irate enough). Build your case and you just might get damages for it, but don't base your case on that. The idea of legal action on this is to stop the nuisance, not to gain reparations from it....

Willful negligence is still a crime, and at this rate, that's what it looks like you have. Gather any evidence you can and seek legal advice after the third complaint to police and after at least one complaint to them directly. If you should casually run into an officer with a moment, consult them for a possible course of action pertinent to your state/county/jurisdicton.

If they fail to comply after such a case has been tried against them, it's not only proven willful harassment, but also contemptuous of a court-order, which carries heavy fines. At that point you might be able to recover punitive damages..

Just be the jaggernaut advocate for everyone around him and do what you can. As hard as it is, get the law on your side and your noisy neighbor will have no choice but to buy a set of headphones instead.

Reply to
Electromotive Guru

------- EG, thanks for all the suggestions! The legal approach is what I'm going to take.

Funny thing is, I'm recently talking to other people in town and I'm fining others with similar problems dealing with inconsiderate neighbors. I'll pass along all the useful info I obtained from this thread.

Thanks everyone and keep the suggestions coming!

---pete---

Reply to
---Pete---

I tuned in late, but I recommend *not* involving the local police. Technically, they do not have jurisdiction over radio emissions, but they may not realize it, and the situation could get ugly.

Reply to
mc

(Having read a little more...) On audible noise in your home *do* call the local police (noise ordinance). The RFI is a separate problem probably caused by oscillation in the neighbor's heavily overdriven amplifier.

Reply to
mc

snipped-for-privacy@snip.net (---Pete---) wrote in news:44a0722d.30859593 @news.verizon.net:

In THAT case, it's time to move to a different town. (c;)

Reply to
Jim Land