Need help INTERPRETING these test results police cruiser SAE J866a Chase Test

Exactly. You've been right all along while I was hoping beyond hope that there is an intelligent way to select a good/better/best brake pad.

You were right. I was wrong.

If you have two pads in your hands, or two on the net, you can't make an intelligent choice between them, other than to know if they're the same or not, and to know who made them, and to know what their cold and hot friction coefficients are.

That's it.

Each pad can be different - but you have no way of knowing that from the pad itself.

Nobody complained about fade in that one report we have, did they? I don't think we have any better "fade" test than the Chase value for hot friction (which was E or F depending on the pads tested).

So, while fade is important - it's a useless criteria since we have no way of knowing the fade.

It's just silly to bring up all the things that *can* happen if you have no way of choosing between them when the pads are in your very hands.

I don't disagree with you that two pads can be vastly different, but you have no way of knowing anything other than their tested friction, their manufacturer, and whether two pads are exactly the same material.

That's all you've got since brands are almost meaningless (e.g., PBR, Axxis and Metalmasters are the same company) and semi-metallic/metalic/ceramic marketing is even more meaningless.

All well and good, but it's like predicting that a baby will become the president of the United States.

Let's just agree to disagree since you don't seem to realize what I know from talking to the Axxis marketing guy that the word 'ceramic' is a bullshit marketing term.

Do you think I don't call these marketing guys up? Do I seem like someone who doesn't ask pointed questions?

Ceramic is complete and total marketing bullshit. The marketing guy told me himself.

(Yes, I see the difficulty of position that puts me in.)

Let's agree to disagree. You believe in marketing. I don't.

I believe in specifications.

Let's agree to disagree.

You think price has some impact on performance. I will prove to you that I can show exact same products with different branding but the exact same price.

Everyone loves a number-line decision, whether it's good/better/best of metallic/semi-metallic/ceramic or $10/$20/$30 or 3-year/4-year-/5-year warranty, but none of that indicates a better or worse object.

Only specifications do, and we just don't know much about the spec other than who made the pad, the code for the exact formulation, and the friction.

Everything else is bullshit.

Price is an indicator of demand only. Demand is influenced by a shitload of factors. You know that. I know that. Let's not argue it. That's what Economics 101 was for, and I already took that and passed it.

If you truly know the "hardness", then of course it matters. But you have no way of knowing the hardness. Do you?

I think I do understand how disc brakes work, but we can discuss what you think I don't understand.

What I know is that your energy of movement has to be converted into something else, most notably heat. Lots and lots of heat.

Yup. Pad deposition. Something about covalent bonds making and breaking under the heat of braking, where the breaking of the bonds elicits heat.

It gets complex HOW the heat is generated (it's not just 'friction'), but the end result is heat. Lots and lots of heat.

The Ameca engineer already explained the burnished pads that the Michegan study used where he said it was to get rid of the volatile gases that come out of the first few heat cycles.

Yup. We all know how to property bed our brakes. I doubt many shops do it though, because it requires a lot of room and a few very hard almost stops where, if there is traffic, it ain't easy to do.

I'll wager that few, if any, shops properly bed the pads. But you'd have that experience because I've never been to a mechanic.

NEVER, and I mean NEVER leave your foot on the pedal after a hard stop! Everyone knows this, so I know you know this. It's the worst thing you can do, unless you love to have judder every few thousand miles as that ped deposition collects more pad over time.

I never understood why, but once a pad print, always a pad print. And it only gets worse.

Unless you re-bed the brakes - which everyone knows - so you're preaching to the choir on even brake pad deposition techniques.

Yes. But. I have no good way of knowing a quality pad from a not quality pad. So it's moot.

It's like me picking out the best students in a class based on whether they wear glasses or not.

It's significant in one thing. Pedal pressure. If pedal pressure is your gig - then it's significant. If pedal pressure isn't your gig, then it's not significant.

The pedal pressure changed about 100%, from roughly less than ten foot pounds to less than twenty foot pounds in the lower-speed tests for example.

What's 10 foot pounds? Dunno when it's pressing on a pedal, but if that's important, then you have to buy a police cruiser and put those pads on it - because it doesn't tell you anything about your car unless it's a police cruiser.

Yup. We agree. There is no useful data other than the AMECA code and even that isn't meant for the consumer.

Knowledge is dangerous. Logic is dangerous. Thinking is dangerous.

Having someone else do all that for you, is dangerous. The mechanic doesn't give a shit about you or your brake pads.

All the mechanic cares about is your money, and getting as much of that as possible, in the least time possible, so he'll skip steps like you can't believe.

I'm on car forums where there are complaints galore about mechanics skipping half the steps in anything because they don't give a shit about anything but money.

The only way to do it right is to do it yourself, is my motto.

You can disagree (and you almost certainly will), but you can't disagree that I'm trying to make an intelligent decision on which brake shoes to buy, and that I probably know them as well as any mechanic who *thinks* he knows them - but he doesn't - because he can't.

Nobody can but the guy who submitted them for their Chase test.

Reply to
Mad Roger

That makes sense that the outgassing of pad A can be vastly different than that of pad B, and, in fact, they "burnished" the pads in the police test to minimize the initial presumed-far-greater effect of that as the adhesives heated up for the first time and vented gases.

Occam's Razor logic tells us that only one of 2 things is happening: a. There is a huge as-yet-unnamed second-order effect, or, b. There is a combination that results in a huge second-order effect.

That there is a huge second-order effect (after friction), there can be no logical doubt.

But what is the 2nd-order effect's cause and can we test for it?

Two Occam's Razor points on that observation above, which is correct.

  1. While this vehicle specs DOT3, I'll put in DOT4 instead.
  2. Metal versus semi-metallic versus ceramic is marketing bullshit

I know there are no laws that differentiate between metal, ceramic, and semi-metallic - as I've personally spoken to the people who make the Axxis/PBR/Metalmasters pads. They told me it's all bullshit only they said it far more politely and less succinctly than I just did.

Suffice to repeat that a spec of dust makes a pad ceramic, just as a spec of iron makes it semi-metallic.

I posit marketing came up with these wonderful good/better/best number-line decisions for people since people (like Terry Schartz seems to be) want a simple number line instead of those oh-so-very-complex quality specifications.

Where's Jeff Liebermann when you need him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Reply to
Mad Roger

I've never experienced such fade in my life, and I drive a performance car, where I've driven down many a long hill. I don't know why I have never experienced brake fade, but I know it exists. I just have never felt it.

But I've never put in less than FF pads either.

That may or may not be related - we can't tell. It's just a datum.

What's a "police shoe"?

The police report from Michigan tested "regular" shoes only.

If there was a difference, it's hard to tell because nobody (except the police in Michigan it seems) tests *new* pads against *new* pads (after burnishing).

You probably didn't as nobody does.

You probably tested *old* pads against *new* pads, and even if you did test apples to apples, it's not extensible to "my" car or to anyone else's car.

That's the problem with tiny experiments of a single datapoint.

What the heck is a "pursuit certified vehicle"? I drove an EMT vehicle many times. It drove like a truck.

Like any performance vehicle on the road today?

Don't even know what it is. Is it a souped up police cruiser?

That's not a good scientific test.

I have been trained to drive an ambulance. Know what they taught me?

a. Defensive driving b. Noise pollution is bad c. Laws (nobody is allowed to break the law in that state, not even ambulances)

I think in some states emergency vehicles *are* allowed to break the law, but not in that state where I drove the ambulance. Of course, nobody is going to give you a ticket either, but if you kill someone while breaking the law, the onus is on you.

Reply to
Mad Roger

I get your point, even ensconced inside the sarcasm, so I'll just say it bluntly that I do realize 99.99% of the people out there do not care that they're completely unable to intelligently purchase things using a modicum of logic.

These people all want a "number line" decision, where they can use the good, better, best by "marketing derived" criteria, such as silly words like "ceramic" (where one spec of clay makes it a ceramic) and "semi-metallic" (where one spec of iron makes it metallic).

You're one of those people, most likely (based on Occam's Razor deduction), and that's fine.

You *think* you're intelligently choosing a brake pad, and that's fine too.

You may even buy by one of the three marketing-induced criteria: a. If you're cost conscious, you buy the cheapest FF that fits. b. If you're value conscious, you buy the mid FFs (with a small price bump) c. If you're status conscious, you buy the high FFs (bigger price jump)

I'm not like you. I like to *understand* that which I buy.

That's my take on the main difference between you and me base on the one line you wrote.

I like to make intelligent buying decisions. You apparently don't care to - and that's fine.

Reply to
Mad Roger

Except that Axxis marketing told me, personally, that all these words are marketing bullshit (he used nicer terms than that).

Do you think I don't call these people up when I have their numbers?

Hmmmmhmmmhmmm... this is interesting. I like it! If the test works, that's a nice test. I'm gonna have to bring a magnet with me to the web when I look them up online! :)

Seriously though, it's nice if the pad is in your hands. I'll bring a magnet with me if I end up buying them from the parts store. And I can test the old shoes and pads when I take them off.

Good idea if it works. Can others concur it works?

The Ameca engineer talked about 1st tier but he wouldn't tell me which companies that is, so I don't know what you know.

He did say that aftermarket makes only a handful of formulations that they fit to all cars.

That's like saying you decide the characteristics of a wife, and then go and marry her. It's not extrapolatable with the information you have.

It's just not.

And you seem to buy on a number line, like most people, and that's fine, for you. I like to buy by specs, and they just don't exist.

SO I'm f***ed.

Of course. That's a given that the hardware needed is there, and that it fits. In the case of the Toyota drums, the only hardware needed for sure is the U clip which has to be bent. The OE pads come also with circular retainers.

You missed what I said, or I didn't say it right. Specifications are not bullshit. Marketing spin is bullshit.

The science is only in the hands of the formulators. Nobody else has access to that science.

This is good to know because Rock Auto has really low prices! They were so low, they scared me. That's how low they were.

I don't have any paranoia. You *think* I do, and that's fine. But I don't. I just don't trust marketing as much as you seem to trust them.

That's a good question. The AMECA engineer said only the OEMs spend the immense time to get the formulation right. So that would say that, if you like what the OEMs did for you, that you should pay the $157 for OEM FF shoes and not the $20 for aftermarket FF shoes.

In the case of Toyota, it's Nisshinbo Automotive Manufacturing, Inc.

But you bring up a good point, which is what the AMECA engineer said, which is to buy "regionally" if you don't go OEM.

His algorithm was to buy a brand from the same region as where your OE shoes were made. If OE is from Germany, then buy a German-built pad. If OE is Japanese, then buy a Japanese pad.

He didn't explain in detail why, but his point may be the same as yours, which is that there aren't a whole lotta' manufacturers out there, but luckily, with the AMECA Edge Code, we know the manufacturer of *every* brake pad out there, and the code for the specific material.

I *hate* not being able to make an intelligent choice based on specifications. I just hate it.

And, you just can't make an intelligent choice based on specifications for brake pads because all you really know are who made it, what it's friction is, and whether the compound is exactly the same as another.

That's not enough to make an intelligent comparison. And you never will have the capability to test them scientifically.

So we're all blind - although most people don't seem to realize they're blind.

I've had Jurid, Textar, Akebono, and PBR on my car. They're all the same to me. The first week they feel vastly differently, then the same forever more.

The first week, we're comparing old pads to new pads, mind you.

Yes. I know. Everyone knows that. Even non engineers. But my point is that it wasn't obvious until Gallileo tested it. So millions of people thought otherwise, because intuitively it seems that it woudl be the case.

You knew that. A feather and a bowling ball will fall differently, in air, but the same in a vacuum. We all know that.

My only point there was that intuition is almost always wrong. Anyone who trust their intuition, is almost always wrong.

Don't even get me started on high-octane claims in commercials.......

Yup. That's the only logical conclusion anyone can make using Occam's Razor.

Reply to
Mad Roger

The shoes they tested were premium and heavy duty (all of the FF and FG were "heavy duty" pads.

On Persuit rated vehicles they oftern also have larger rotors and drums - as well as different tires, and even different RIMS to allow bwtter brake cooling. Never wondered why cruisers have "dog dish" hub caps instead of full wheel covers??? To allow the brakes to "breath" better.

I can say without reservation that the "police duty" and severe duty brakes were MUCH better at high speeds than standard brakes (and sometimes not nearly as good when cold/low speed) 1 1966 Dodge Polara Pursuit Special I drove for a short time went like a scalded cat, and stopped like you had jammed a stick into a hole in the pavement.

Yes.

Todays persuit special vehicles are often the big ecoboost engine on fords, and Hemis on Chargers. Often with a "special tune" that raises the rev limiter setting and reprograms the tranny shift points - as well as having bigger rads, bigger alternators, honking big sway bars and super-duty shocks and springs.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On the rare occasions I do my own brakes, I use either NAPA, Warner or OEM parts. Not whatever is cheapest at Auto Zone, JC Whitney or Pep Boys.

The rest of the time I just take the vehicle to a reputable mechanic and tell him what I want. It gets done right.

All your blathering is like arguing with your doctor, "But I read on Facebook (or WebMD)."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Most definitely is NOT marketing Bullshit. It is solid engineering

You speak mandarin, do you? There may not be "legal" definitions, but there are industry accepted definitions - and I've sent you numerous referencesthat spell them out pretty clearly. Yes, there are "hybrids" that sort of bridge the gap - but MOST of them are identified as such.

Most definirely not. There is a small percentage of metal even in organic pads, and the metal does not need to be iron. And "ceramic" has nothing to do with "dust".

A ceramic is a vitified clay base which may or may not have metals also included. A ceramic does not use phenol;ic binders.

Again - READ the stuff I posted for you.

You are being a paranoid simleton.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

And YOU think YOU are smart. (nobody else does - sorry to break your bubble)

and if you are SMART you buy the type of pad that matches yourdriving requirements - which for most commuters is a standard organic pad, for heavy duty use, a semi metallioc, and for high speed light duty, generally a ceramic.

And yet you most certainly do NOT when it comes to brakes. You are totally clueless and uneducatable

and you seem to be totally incapable of it.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

May the Lord save us from those who *think* they know!

--

Xeno
Reply to

I caught on to that very early in the piece. That's why I deduced that discussion with mad roger was not a fruitful use of my time.

As you have discovered.

Amen to that! Just wants to argue the toss, that is all.

He is.

--

Xeno
Reply to

from the PBR brake site :

PBR Axxis Metal Master Brake Pads, Ultimate Brake Pads, and Deluxe Brake Pads

Note: The FMP Group Australia Pty. Ltd., is the manufacturer of Axxis and PBR brand brake pads; these pads are identical.

Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads

Ultimate

ceramic-strengthened formula with a high co-efficient of friction and excellent high temperature wear and fade resistance. Designed for ultra-high performance driving and hard-braking applications, PBR Axxis Ultimate pad users will benefit with extreme stopping power and high resistance to brake fade at high temperatures, meaning the decrease in friction over repeated heavy duty stops, as the temperature increases, is minimal. PBR Axxis Ultimate pads boast a

dependable, predictable stops time after time while maintaining a solid pedal feel.

Axxis Metal Master

Metal Master

Metal Master: Non-asbestos, semi-metallic compound provides the highest fade resistance among leading semi-met brake pads. They deliver proven longer pad and rotor life, with low rotor scoring and quiet braking.

Axxis Deluxe

Deluxe

Exclusive OE equivalent organic compound provides outstanding stopping power with very low fade. Extremely quiet with proven long pad and rotor life and low rotor scoring. Provides measurably longer life and has extreme resistance to heat while delivering consistent, smooth braking performance.

Get yourself a set of PBR Axxis Ultimate, Metal Master, or Deluxe pads today! Brake pads! High Performance Brake Pads! Theres nothing better for braking performance than a good brake pad.

So PBR makes 3 differentlines of brakes. One is sold as AXXIS Ultimate, oneas Axxis Metal Master, and one as Axxis Deluxe. (Also sold underthe PBR brand)

3 totally different pads for diufferent use - all spelled out on the PBR brake products web site. If you spoke to a PBR marketing person you spoke to an idiot who doesn't know their product line, and knows even less about brakes. What you got from HIM WAS marketing bullshit.

Whoever you called gave you VERY bad information.

And you are still stupid enough to think you have to buy online -- I just cannot figure you idiots out.

But metallics are not NECESSARILLY magnetic - because they can be copper or brass - and even ceramics can have some metal in them - as can some organics. You just DON"T GET IT.

Get used to it.

Which is pure bull;shit when talking about tiuer one aftermarket suppliers (which are also OEM suppliers in most cases)

I do NOT buy on a "number line" - I buy by spec. I buy organic, semi metallic, or ceramic depending on what brake characteristics I need and what I'm willing to pay.

You've done it to yourself.

You keep going between pads and shoes. There is so much difference - hardly oranges to oranges - barely apples to oranges - more like rutabagas to apples.

ANd I don't look at "marketing spin" I look at "real" specifications. What KIND of brake material is it? Knowing the KIND of material I can pretty accurately deduce the basic qualities of the brake product - and knowing the manufacturer AND the composition, I can make a pretty good deduction as to quality and suitability for my purpose. Without any "number line" or "friction rating"

And where do you get the idea I trust "marketing"?????

No, for the Toyota you buy Akebono brake shoes - the aftermarket supplier that also produces the OEM brakes for a large percentage of Toyota vehicles (Toyota generally "dual sources" all major parts that the source from outside, like brakes, shoicks, lenses, bulbs, and spark plugs. If one supplier has a problem they cut them off until the problem is solved. (for spark plugs it was always either Nipon Denso or NGK,, foir many parts like AC it was Aisin or Denso.

The MAJOR Tier one aftermarket suppliers are also major OEM suppliers.

TRW, Walker,Monroe, Delphi, and a host of other manufacturers design and build all kinds of parts for the OEM market - as well as the aftermarket.

That will be ONE of their brake suppliers.

Then what are yopu fussing about????????

Not if their "intuition" is "educated"

ANd you know NOTHING about octane and detonation - I'd be willing to bet significantly on that one. (Few people do - the myths on that subject are - well - "mythical".

Don't get started on that one unless you want to get TOTALLY buried......

Why use Ocam's razor - don't you have your own????

Seriously - you are making more assumtions than I am - therefore the chances of your conclusions being correct are significantly less than mine.

Not quite sure you fully understand "Ockham's Razor" either (also known as Occams razor - not Ocams) - a theory first postulated by a

14th century mathemetician and Franciscan Friar by the name of William of Ockham as part of his "unified field theory"

His principal is simply "Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily."

It has been expanded on by many others includingsuch natables as Einstein

Like any sharp instrument -Ockhams razor should not be weilded blindly - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

If I know my application jolly right I can

You obviously did not read and absorb the details of the michigan test. All the brake fade data is clearly there if you know how to read the report.

i CAN TELL YOU which brake pad is going to fade the worst, just knowing the COMPOSITION of the pad - organic, semi-metallic, or ceramic - particularly between products from the same manufacturer. WHos ceramic is beter than whos is a different story - -0 -

I can know who made them and what market theyn are aimed at - which gives me a lot more information than their 2 letter friction rating.

You are a total MORON

AXXIS and PBR ARE the same company, but a PBR or AXXIS Metalmaster is NOT the same as a PBR or AXXIS Delux or Advanced Ceramic - but PBR/AXXIS has more marketing BS than many companies.

well, I know from dealing with brake application engineers and my studies that "marketing guys" are generally like a dirty diaper.

You seam like someone who doesan't know the questions to ask, doesn't know when he's being snowed, and is so obvious that the marketing guys know they can snow you and you won't know the difference. When you need technical information you don't ask marketing - you ask engineering - and you don't go in like a smartass - they can see right through you.

The marketing guy doesn't know shit from shinola

I'll agree to allow you to remain eternally clueless since you are totally unteachable.

Just like a dirty diaper.

AXXIS delux pads are the same as PBR delux pads, but are NOT the same as AXXIS or PBR Metalmasters - and "Metalmaster" is not a company or resller - it is a "model" or "type" iof pad marketted by AXXIS , a devision of PBR PLC in Australia.

A warranty is an insurance policy - not an indicator of quality. How else do you explain a 10year warranty on the shittiest cars to come out of Japan - the MisuShitty. They can't sell their crap without a

10year warranty - and when the warranty is expired you can't sell one

- period.

Yad yada yada---------

Sure I do

Well, he was WRONG.

Most certainly NOT everybody knows it.

Not neccesarily - If caught on time it is almost always reversible

You are a thickskulled and stubborn person - totally unteachable

WRONG - his livelihhod depends on it

Wrong. As a professional mechanic of long standing, with an EXCELLENT reputation, I take that as a total affrront

I've seen the same forums - and most of the compainers are just as dumb as you are.

You are free to do it yourself on your own car - although I don't plan on being anywhere near you - but you should NOT be doing repairs on other peoples vehicles - you are untrained, unauthorized, and uninsured.

Anyone letting you work on their vehicles should be made aware of that, and the dangers implied.

Ignorance is no excuse.

Well, you would be wrong.

Wrong again.

PLONK

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Wow -- you sure know a lot about me based on my one line response.

You must believe you are a frickin' genius. THAT is so sad.

But you are right on one point. You're not like me.

I'm so glad.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Consider the analogy of mud-wrestling with a pig.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

It's more of an analogy of asking a technical question which is beyond the scope of the trolls here such as *Xeno the troll*, and *Terry Schwartz*.

They *can't* possibly add on-topic technical value ... ... and yet they feel a magnetic attraction that is so strong ... ... ... they feel they must troll the thread ...

Ignorant trolls *can't* possibly add any value to any technical thread. Just watch what they post.

Reply to
Mad Roger

What I know is that you've added zero on-topic technical value. What I also know is that you *can't* add on-topic technical value. Just watch.

Reply to
Mad Roger

I'm reading them as soon as I post this to let you know that... Thanks for always posting on-topic technical value.

Reply to
Mad Roger

"On topic" would be electronics related. I've spent a lifetime in electroni cs. That is a field in which I do have technical expertise. Brakes are NOT on topic. Period. Perhaps you will find more willing foil in another group.

I've also spent 30+ years of my career engineering things with engines, whe els (2, 3, and 4), brakes, so yes, I have expertise in all that as well. Ve hicles that go 4 mph and vehicles that go 140 mph.

But it's fun watching you make an ass of yourself. So yes, I am drawn to th is thread, it's like watching a train wreck or a plane crash. I'm done enga ging you, feel free to have the last snipe, as you seem to need to do. It's a classic sign of a petty, insecure mind.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Says he who does nothing but post off topic shit endlessly

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0