Need help finding chip replacement...

Located a damaged small (half inch long) 8 pin DIP chip (4 pins either side) with the following on it:

First Line: 4800 Second Line: (some one or two character logo that looks like it starts with an 'S') BI(character representing capital Greek delta) Third Line: L37A

The package is very small and the same kind of chip is scattered in various places across this Compaq DS512U laptop motherboard. Want to replace it and see if it will work. Company is trying to charge 500 for a replacement board.

The damaged chip is located under one of the fans.

Tried chipsearch.com and several others but no luck. The way these chips are scattered all over, my guess is that capacitance is built into these chips but don't really know. Used to the big canisters...

L37A might be the package type but not sure.

Any gurus out there that can #1 identify the chip and #2: recommend an actively distributed replacement? or #3: point me to a better forum for post?

Thanks!

Reply to
landed elephant

Your best bet is to look on eBay for a "spares or repairs" machine, preferably with a working board, e.g. one with a smashed screen.

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran