Fan replacement question

Hello all - I have a Dell PowerVault 200S SCSI Drive cage and the fans are driving me and more importantly, the others in my house, nuts. It currently has three redundant Papst RL90DC fans, running at 12VDC. Does anyone know of a good quiet replacement for these units? Any help is greatly appreciated as this array must stay up but cannot continue making so much noise.

Scott Toland

Reply to
Scott Toland

These fans are about as low noise as you can get at 58dBA (-/12/14Nx versions) so I doubt there is anything you can do without enclosing the cage somehow.

Three of these fans running simultaneously will certainly make a lot of noise particularly if the SCSI cage is free-standing in an open environment. ie,not in a separate equipment room or enclosed in an equipment rack. If office workers were made to endure the noise from equipment fans such as in this unit they would complain severely to management, and I would imagine your family members are no different in this respect. Serious computing equipment usually means that a separate equipment room is required to keep as much noise away from the work environment as possible.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

You might try putting baffle vents over the fan output screens. Or if you can get your hands on some vacuum flex hosing build an external cooler box.(I have one running on a mini-tower case that does a good job of pulling air through the case for cooling with the suction fan and motor in a corner closet.) You can cobble one together out of hosing and old vacuum fan and motors parts. Build it into a heavy plywood or particleboard case for sound insulation. I have a heavyduty voltage control pot on the motor to notch the fan velocity down to about the same level as the standard vent fans used in tower cases. Does a great job of pulling out the heat and is whisper quiet. If you have any old AT power supplies laying around you might try using the cooling fans out of those also. If one doesn't have the needed velocity try using more than one. one on the intake vent of the case and one on the exit vent. Of if possible cut an additional vent hole in the case near the top and install a second. I use these fans on many of the towers I build and they do a good job without creating the noise of the higher velocity fans.

Reply to
Dilligaf

MEasure the size of the fans from mounting hole to mounting hole. Then go to eBay and buy a few fans of the same size, looking for dba readings in the lower 30's. You could buy them at your local Radio-Shack or PC dealer, but they'll be $19.95 each there. Very important: Also buy some fan guards! Otherwise you'll soon be making a trip back to buy fans with blades still on them. Don't ask me how I learned about this.

If the fans are going to be on for more than a few hours a day, be sure they're the $1 more expensive ones with BALL BEARINGS. The brass bearing ones will last about 18 months if they're on all the time.

Then swap the fans and see how that sounds. Probably a lot better. Also feel-up your disk drives after a few hours of use. If they feel just warm, the new fans have enough air flow. Otherwise if they're uncomfortably hot, you might need a bit more cooling.

Reply to
grg