Nakamichi 730 Tuner Amp

Incredably neavy lump. Unused for years and unknown history and mains lead is mildewed so I wanted to insppect innards first and then power up on a variac. Eventually twigged how to remove the top cover. Innards perfectly clean and healthy looking. But now stumped - where on earth is the on/off switch ?

N Cook

The 120V version of the 730 has a primary power switch on the back, but the 120/240V version does not. Not sure about the 220V version. The main power switch is the touch-sensor button on the front, which is powered by a small transformer/supply that's always on(unless the rear switch is off, on the 120v version at least). For this reason, it is not possible to bring it up on a variac, but I would not even consider that necessary. Other than occassional minor issues with the low voltage power supply(+/-15V for preamp & tuner), their pretty damned reliable. Just be prepared to replaced dozens of tiny lamps(14v/40mA) in the front panel, which are a bit challenging to get to. The 730 is one of my favorite receivers in the world.

-- Stephen Sank, Owner & Ribbon Mic Restorer Talking Dog Transducer Company

5517 Carmelita Drive N.E. Albuquerque, New Mexico [87111]
Reply to
Stephen Sank

Hi, I have a 730 receiver with the controls of the front panel a littl

crazy at the begining, have to wait for 5 minutes to normalize. Can yo help me with the origin of this problem? Thanks in advance for any help. Mikey.

Stephen Sank Wrote:

--
Mikey
Reply to

Look for faulty electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck