NAD CD problem.

I've got a real head-scratcher. I've got an older NAD 5340 cdplayer that aside from a little more hunting and tracking than newer cd players it has a great sound EXCEPT for a few select cds.

On some cdroms (Peter Gabriel's 'Shaking the Tree' for instance) the sound makes me think the DAC is losing it's place or something because the sound is almost scratchy. (didn't think that was possible with a cdrom drive) The disc is in GREAT shape with no visible scratches.

Now here is where things get weird, when I copy the cd and play the copy, it sounds fantastic. (confused enough already?)

I downloaded a repair guide (for the 5420 and 5425) but there is nothing that even mentions 'scratchy sound'.

The only things I can think of is that either the laser is going (wouldn't explain why CDRs work though) or a combination of a worn transport with an unbalanced disc?

cheers antony

Reply to
Lex

Sounds like a bad CD. If it's producing lots of read errors, the player can correct only a portion of them.

Reply to
Rick

But I can copy and play the copy fine? If the computer cd reader has XX oversampling and corrects for the errors I'd understand but it just seems odd.

It's almost like the NAD had a problem translating the bits on cd to the DAC. I guess the only way to isolate if it's the transport is to use the Coax and pipe the binary into another DAC, like a newer amp with PCM coax inputs (Panasonic XRs?)

Reply to
Lex

Lex: It is all a matter of numbers.... If you have 100 CDs and ALL of them play OK on your NAD except for 2 or

3 ...... the problem is most likely the disks. It is possible that another CD player will play them fine, but it is also possible that your old NAD CD player will play a disk or two that other players won't. The very FIRST procedure that should be done is to have your NAD CD player cleaned.... and also your CD burner. Inspect the suspect disks carefully for smudges, scratches, warped, etc. electricitym . . .

Lex wrote:

the

because

Reply to
electricitym

Maybe it could be something to do with copy protection, or video extras, or something like that on the discs? I don't have any of the mentioned cds so I can't say for certain.

Andrew Howard

Reply to
Andrew Howard

I have the NAD 5100 and have experienced the same problem with it. It'll play some cd-r's just fine and others will just make a high pitched screeching sound on the NAD. The non-playing ones work fine in later model players. I'd assumed that since these NAD's are older model that that might be the problem. I havven't really sweated it since I have two other players in my racks. Anyone here who could educate us old timers on why this is?

Reply to
none

RE: The very FIRST procedure that should be done is to have your NAD CD player cleaned.... and also your CD burner. Inspect the suspect disks carefully for smudges, scratches, warped, etc.

I'll clean the rails and the lens in the player but the cd was spotless. (I keep a clean microfibre cloth in the stereo stand just for cds.) The ratio appears to be about 1 in 20 (rather frustrating). I've heard of a 'focus coil transistor' problems but I'm not sure which trannys are in question.

Reply to
Lex

Dear sir,

We have this service manual in stock. kindly contect us on snipped-for-privacy@bhumitapes.com or snipped-for-privacy@rediffmail.com