Monitor problem

Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right group to ask but I'll go ahead and try. I have a Samsung monitor and recently it started experiencing some monitor problems. The problem is the monitor seems to lose power intermittently. The power LED goes off and I can't turn it on for a while. A little while later, maybe 10-15 minutes or so, the monitor turns itself back on and works like normal.

I'm not exactly sure what causes these power failures, but like I said they're intermittent. I'm thinking its a possibility that it might be due to the temperature sometimes in my house. In other words, if it gets too hot, these events seem more frequent - but, I'm not really positive about that.

Sometimes the monitor works for weeks without such an issue occuring. Other times it will do it two or three times in a day.

Can anyone give me an idea as to what would cause such a problem in terms of hardware or software (if that is the case) and if its fixable by a newbie like me?

Thanks.

Reply to
hammad.awan

"hammad.awan snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Model number? CRT or LCD? How old?

Reply to
Jim Land

hammad.awan snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha escrito:

there is a bad solder joint somewhere, either that or a component has become thermo- sensitive (probably in the power supply). Do NOT nurse this along and continue using it, you are likely stressing other components which will lead to an expensive repair. Get it to a tech now before things get worse!

-B.

CRT, Model 997DF. About one year old.

Hammad

Jim Land (NO SPAM) wrote:

Reply to
hammad.awan

Regardless of the make of the monitor, sometimes components in the power supply or other areas can become thermo sensitive. An experienced tech can troubleshoot the monitor and replace them.

If the defective parts are generic, they can be bought from most any electronics parts supplier. If the defective parts are proprietary, then it will be up to the discretion of the manufacture if they will sell parts to non authorized service people. To guarantee having the monitor serviced, call the manufacture or the dealer to find out where to send the monitor for factory service.

If your monitor is out of warranty, it may not pay to have it serviced. Many times, it is better value to replace the monitor, and have a new warranty with it. We found that most of these computer monitors, when used every day, last about 3 to 4 years maximum.

--

JANA _____

[...]

JANA

monitors *usually* come with a 3-5year manufacturers warranty, make it thier problem ;)

Reply to
Mark Fortune