MITSUBISHI VS-45VA1 - Rear_Projection TV

A challenge indeed......

What's known good: Each of the three projectors (red, green, blue) are fully operable and in focus. Audio is unaffected and functions well.

The symptom is akin to the effect viewed as a partial signal block from HBO in the late 1970's. where the picture shows up on screen with a wavy horizontal flickering side to side motion. Depending upon the input signal strength, the horizontal wavering strengthens as the signal gets stronger.

When using an antenna ( tested both antenna 1 input and antenna 2 input), Channel 8 can receive marginal reception as the the channel is broadcasted from 45 miles away. Some snow (weak signal indication), a little spotty (microwave background distortion), but very few wavering lines as compared to viewing a VCR/DVD input. All other channels are too distant to receive (I have not activated cable TV yet). On channels without formatted broadcasted signal received ( snow microwaves only), there is no indication of wavering lines at all, and no indication of a malfunction.

With the input coming from either video 1 or video 2 (front and back tested) having an 8mm camera connected to the TV, and active, and panning the lense to the kitchen (not so bright), horizontal distortion exists. Then when panning the 8mm camera to view through the window outside in the bright sunlight, the distortion intensifies and the video output on the TV screen becomes unrecognizable.

Without any signal input showing up on the screen, in the case of the full screen TV setup menus, all text colors and text are sharp and background color is picture prefect. This is also the case when the vhs is connected and the stop button is pressed) with a tape active but not playing. The output is the pretty blue blank screen (normal attribute in this scenario) and the display statistics (date, time, position counter) appear in picture perfectly clear white lettering.

If you have any TV experiences / thoughts to share (however trivial they may appear), I'd appreciate your input.

Many Thanks, Ken

snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Reply to
<kjlawren01

That's subjective to your experience and the tools of the trade you might or might not have in your arsenal.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time without the proper diagnostic literature and test equipment. You may get lucky if someone comes along, reads this article and has fixed the same chassis with the same problems but don't count on it. You could always shotgun it by replacing the entire video processing circuitry if you can determine where it is and find a refurbed sub.

Good luck.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 16:24:09 -0600, put finger to keyboard and composed:

Your set uses the VZ1 chassis.

Maybe the following repair tip applies to you.

Projection Repair Tips (page 2): http://124.106.125.72/tv%20vcr%20repair%20tips/project02.htm

Mitsubishi model VS40VA2 chassis VZ1

Symptom: Washed out video - dark picture with bending and tearing - looks like AGC problem but problem is also on video input

Fix: Check/replace C7001 (4.7uf @ 35v), C7011 & C7027 (2.2uf @ 35v)

BTW, I ignored your first post because (1) its size flagged it as spam, and (2) it was posted to the wrong group. And now you have reposted this message twice to the same group.

Here's a friendly tip. Take some time to acquaint yourself with Netiquette as it applies to Usenet. You will get a much better response to your questions if you do.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Search for info on the PIP bypass for this set. You have leaky caps on the PIP module.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Just bypass the PIP module. Two caps and you are done.

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Leonard, Thanks. You are dead on... "Search for info on the PIP bypass for this set. You have leaky caps on the PIP module".-- the caps WERE leaking. I used 91% isopropyl alcohol and a firm new 1" paint brush and cleaned off of the entire PIP (930B552). Then, I put the PIP on my car dashboard in the warm Sun for 2 hours before continuing. I made JPS's of every step I've taken and am willing to send the pre-snot and post snot pics, and or all other boards to anyone who requests analyzing them.

On the PIP, under the shield, I adjusted LO7102 & LO7101 (blk) clockwise to where they stopped. I also flirted with VR7002 & VR7001 (blu) and acquired some improvement, but not much. Each time, I unplugged 110v, took the PIP board out, adjusted, reseated, replugged 100v., and re-powered on to view. Could I flirt with adjusting them while live?

What about rotational adjustments on the main board? Any advise?

Leonard, Here a current list of specs I've been able to match up:

brand ---------------------- Mitsubishi model ---------------------- VS-45VA1 base manual ---------------- VS-45VA2 chassis---------------------- VZ1 year------------------------- 1992 service adjust code-option--- 008 service adjust code-video pip 007 convergence adjust code ---- 009 Line = 83MI Item (OEM) Description ========== ==============

935D162002 Side PCC 935D157001 Display 935D156001 Control Board 935D155001 PreAmp 935D154001 Front Board 935D153001 FS 935D152002 Terminal Board 935C442002 PCC 935C441002 Signal Board 935C440001 CRT Assy. 935C439001 Power Sub 935C438002 Convergence Board 935C437002 Main Board 930B552001 PIP

I do not understand these terminologies or the implications "service adjust code option 008", "service adjust code video pip 007" , "convergence adjust code 009", and "Line = 83MI". I've spent the day scouring the net for part affiliation, and am looking for more insight.

Meat Plow, you say "You could always shotgun it by replacing the entire video processing circuitry if you can determine where it is and find a refurbed sub." Thanks Meat Plow, It's sounds like something I might ultimately consider, but I'm not sure what "shotgun" and refurb "sub" means (power sub?) .

Thanks Franc. What is "AGC"? Automatic gain control ??? if it is what do I look for ? Is it replaceable, or is it possible to bypass also? Or should I rule it out until the PIP issue is resolved?

Leonard, I may very well attempt a PIP bypass (if not replacemet). I found web documentation for a potential bypass at the main board PIP blue connector "GE", pinout 5(+) to 11, and 7(+) to 9, 2 - 4.7 @ 50 volts. HELP on this!!! What does " 2 - 4.7" mean??? ... The pic is located at

Thanks for your guidance, Ken snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

the

Reply to
<kjlawren01

=================================================== Leonard -- You're The Man !!!!

I pulled the PIP, inserted the 2ea. 4.7uf@50v caps into the VF (GE) female connector openings, cupped my marbles, closed my eyes, plugged in the power cord, and Voila! A BRAND NEW TV !!!!

for

off

clockwise

acquired

PIP

view.

part

should

found

HELP

Reply to
<kjlawren01

EXCESSIVE GREEN IN PICTURE: Advice Sought

Back in the beginning of October, I cleaned the TV's interior out (to like in new condition), pulled the leaky PIP module and inserted the

2ea. 4.7uf@50v caps and was very happy to have a functional TV.

My next step is to find guidance on getting the prevailing "green" out of the picture.

I've I hit the reset button, and is does the trick, however, the focus goes south, and the contrast goes to the maximum level. Color and bright go to the 50% level. If I reduce the contrast, the picture refocuses a-okay, but everything acquires a green tint.

In another attempt after a reset, I left the contrast alone, and reduced the "brightness" to clear up the blury focus (no green tint). It also does the trick, but I have to sit away from the TV in the direct center, with the lights off, to see the *dim* output with excellent color and excellent focus.

Does anyone have Any suggestions I may follow up on? Can I make an adjustment on one of the boards, or do I need to replace another cap or a different component?

Thank you for reading my post. Ken

========================================== brand ---------------------- Mitsubishi model ---------------------- VS-45VA1 base manual ---------------- VS-45VA2 chassis---------------------- VZ1 year------------------------- 1992 service adjust code-option--- 008 service adjust code-video pip 007 convergence adjust code ---- 009 Line 83MI

Item (OEM) Description ========== ==============

935D162002 Side PCC 935D157001 Display 935D156001 Control Board 935D155001 PreAmp 935D154001 Front Board 935D153001 FS 935D152002 Terminal Board 935C442002 PCC 935C441002 Signal Board 935C440001 CRT Assy. 935C439001 Power Sub 935C438002 Convergence Board 935C437002 Main Board 930B552001 PIP =========================================
Reply to
kjlawren01

Assuming that working through the usual adjustments (screen, drive, etc) doesn't clear up the problem, it's likely you have a worn-out CRT with insufficient red and blue output to match the green at "normal" brightness levels.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Hi William,

Thank you for replying.

However, I do not understand how a Cathode Ray Tube has anything to do with my projection TV??

If you could elaborate, I'd appreciate it..

Thanks,

Ken

Reply to
<kjlouisiana