Microwave oven

It's difficult to tell from the article, which offers several theories. The first paragraph suggests that microwave exploded, giving him a shock. The fifth paragraph suggests that he was electrocuted. Forensic investigators are still investigating. The usual online expert claimed "The high-voltage microwave oven may have charged something intentionally left inside and caused the explosion" which I presume means he left a hand grenade in the oven while preparing the popcorn. Another suggested that he was murdered by his wife and then blamed the microwave. For all I know, it could have been the vacuum cleaners fault.

I prefer to believe that he was killed by the popcorn. Popcorn is normally quite safe prepared in a microwave oven, as long as each kernel pops at a different time. However, if all the kernels were to pop at exactly the same time, they might produce a steam explosion. Statistically, that's very unlikely, but still possible.

This is what happens when I cooked a yam for 16 minutes instead of 6 minutes: There was no explosion, but there was plenty of fire, smoke, and stench. When I opened the door, the inside of the yam was glowing dull red.

Why do microwaves explode?

Good questions. I don't have an answer. Explosive disassembly normally disconnects the wires that might present an electrocution hazard. In this situation, explosive assembly (with burns) is very unlikely.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

ookay. I'm done here.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Waving money at me is usually sufficient reason.

I've only repaired a few microwave ovens. Maybe 10 or so. Most of the repairs were inspired by the owner having purchased a microwave oven that was built into a kitchen cabinet, RV cabinet, or was in some way unique (i.e. smart kitchen with remote controls). All of them were quite old. Amazingly, I was able to find old stock parts, but at the usual exorbitant prices. I charged far more for the repair than the cost of a new microwave oven. None of the owners complained about the price.

Incidentally, one of these oven repairs had a few broken plastic parts. I had a machine shop make one from my drawings. It was NOT cheap. Today, I might try a 3D printing service for appliance parts: etc...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

You aren't married, are you Jeff?

If you are then she is a gem if she lets you blow stuff up in the kitchen!

John ;-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

Good.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Yes, I are not married, and yes, I are Jeff. (Please don't ask a negative question, and then append a positive question. It's rather confusing):

Most of the women I invite to my lair initially look around in silent shock, and then ask "You live like this"? I've discovered over the years that this means that they are calculating if it possible to domesticate me. The answer is usually clear when they discover two refrigerators in the kitchen. A small one for food, and a larger one for chemicals, batteries, and emergency supplies. Punching 16 minutes into the microwave oven timer instead of 6 minutes is a much lesser crime.

It didn't explode. I just shot flaming "guts of yam" all over the oven walls, filled the kitchen with smoke, set off the smoke alarm, and smelled rather awful for about a month. The painted (or possibly powder coated) white interior of the Panasonic inverter oven was badly stained orange by the yam smoke. None of the common kitchen chemicals would remove the stains. I decided that toxic chemicals in the microwave was a bad idea, so I resorted to small right angle buffer and some abrasive grit. That was sufficient to make the oven presentable. However, I had to tear it apart to clean the ducting, where the common kitchen cleaners were functional.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

LOL! You're a twit Jeff, but the kind of twit I love!!

Actually, his statement is far more clumsy when written. When said out-lou d, it's not nearly as confusing (although admittedly still incorrect). Sai d out loud, it might sound like two sentences - one a statement, and the ot her a question asked after considering the statement part.

Funny stuff though.

Reply to
John-Del

Jeeze, I put a comma where it doesn't belong and get a holy !@#$ storm!