Making a pen for a digitiser tablet - calcomp DB3

I had some success making a pointer device for a trust digitiser last year. I didn't actually need one for that device, I was using it for investigation.

The tablet I need a pointer for, because they're very expensive to buy, is a Calcomp DB3. When I came to investigate this board, I couldn't find the HF signal to feed the pointer as in the trust device.

Of course it's possible the calcomp doesn't work, I got it in an auction with some other kit 10 years ago!

Anyone have any experience with these?

Cheers, Alex

Reply to
Alex Bird

I think the puck is just a receiver maybe with an amplifier in it, and the board itself generates the field. How does the trust pointer work?

Reply to
stickyfox

Nope, the trust and calcomp work, like all these devices, by a grid of wires (pcb lines these days) which pick up a magnetic field from a small coil in the pointer device. They locate it by the wires picking up the most signal. I don't think it could really work the other way around.

Cheers, Alex

Reply to
Alex Bird