Magnetek drive repair

We have a second drive that created the same problem as a drive of the same model but smaller in size we tost out 3 years due to a "SC" error "Short circuit" as you place the drive in RUN mode.

This time, I would like to repair this one instead of tossing it. I can't remember the exact model # at the moment, a 5xx something VF drive. what I have found is, the 2 DC bus caps "2000 uf, 400 VDC" only test up to only ~1500 uf each. I really don't think this would be the cause if the "SC" error in run mode. This error takes place with no delay even before the drive would normally ramp up. Nothing is apparently shorted.

I did find how ever, on the optical isolated Gate driving circuit one bad CAP "58 uf, 35VDC" which measures ~ 1 uf on the first phase, the same caps in the phase 2 and 3 circuit measure around 35 uf and appears to have leaked out fluid a bit over the SMT driving trannies. The bad cap I found how ever does not appear to have leaked at all. So confusion tells me to replace all of them to start with.

Any ways, I applied voltage to the IGBT bridge and there isn't any shorts even thought the CPU thinks there is so, I have drawn a conclusion that maybe the gate firing driver circuit has fail and thus the loop back monitoring isolation circuit isn't detecting a feed back response due to the bad driving circuit not signaling the bridge on that one leg and assuming a short..

Does this sound like a plausible train of thought ?

P.S. I'm doing this with out a service print, it does not seem like its to difficult to resolve this problem.

--
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"
Reply to

Jamie wrote in news:ZUoTj.106$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.lga:

58 uF is a really ODD value. sure it's not just 50 uF?

not good.

I agree.

if a cap leaked electrolyte on the board,that will be conductive. that stuff can get under ICs and other components.

It must be cleaned off and thouroughly dried.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes, that material sure is conductive, as I was scrapping the crud away to get a got contact with the probes, I was getting a variation of readings. Its strange because this drive was operating fine, the machine operator simply placed the drive in STOP mode via the control panel and PLC, when he got ready to restart it about 20 mins later, this fault happened. No fuses, no funny motor movements etc.. Oh well, I'll recap the drive.. and as far as the cap fluid, not a lot leaked out and what did is easy to clean off the SMT trannies and from under them. the caps are 58 uf at 35 volts,. strange I know but those are the values. Just plain old radial type types with a plastic slip on the alum can.

"

Reply to
Jamie