Magnavox 32" RS3160 31T102 dead/click

I got this magnovox that was completely dead with only a click. found horiz output transistor shorted, and replaced. noticed the set had the vertical output IC replaced at one point along with its associated diode and resistor.

after replacing the horizontal output transistor, the set now powers on momentarily with a good picture, but goes into shutdown 5 to 10 seconds later. then the set powers back on automatically, and the cycle keeps repeating like clock work.

Ruled out the CRT by removing neck board, and ruled out an overload via vert IC by cutting its supply. same issues, found bad solder around the horizontal drive transformer and resoldered this and other nearby components to no avail.

I dont think its the flyback, or i wouldnt have any HV or picture at all.

Only thing left is electrolytics in the power supply and possibly the yoke.

Any ideas? Thanks...

Reply to
Mike

yea ive tried just about everything on this chassis. there is something that isnt normal though:

i have 130v going into the flyback, which is normal, but i got 180v sitting at the collector of the HOT while running. also it causes my meter to start going random when powered on, so i had to use an analog to take the voltage reading from the HOT.

Reply to
Mike

Is there a damper diode separate from the HOT?

Reply to
James Sweet

no. its built into the transistor.

I believe the micro is bad. or the supply feeding it is bad.

if i turn it off by remote. it will stay off for 10 seconds and then try to kick back on to channel 3.

Now, if i turn it off, and back on with remote, and if i keep channeling up and down with the remote, the TV stays on and works fine. as soon as i quit feeding the micro input with the remote, it powers off again.

so basically if i keep channel up/down on the remote, it will stay on and work fine. as soon as i let go of the buttons and leave it sit, it goes out and recycles back to channel 3 with no volume.

some things to make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Reply to
Mike