Mackie SWA 1501 replacement driver

Hi,

would like to settle this once and for all.

A few years ago now, I posted on usenet about testing the Mackie SW1501 amp module on the bench with a sine wave at 8 ohms. They blow up. Well mine did and I had to mend them again.

I'm pretty sure it was Phil Allison who pointed out that the amp circuit is not capable of full sinewave power at 8 ohms without exceeding the transistor specs.

Here is the schematic, it specifies a 12 ohm driver.

Googling for replacement drivers brings up recommendations by Eminence that you use one of their 8 ohm drivers.

It also brings up that originally, (apparently), Mackie used an RCF driver, and later went on to use a modified P-audio C15-300MB. I don't know if these were 16 ohm or 8 ohm drivers.

So I have another customer with one of a pair of these subs that needs a new driver. In the past I have instructed my local reconer to put a 16 ohm coil in these (he rolls his own).

I suspect this is by far the best plan, but would like some confirmation or further info if anyone has any.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

"Gareth Magennis"

** New driver or a repair done ?

Watch out for ambiguity.

** Then surely he can also "roll" a 12 ohm coil.

Makes only 2dB difference in sensitivity and none to the max dB output at LF.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I will ask. He generally pre-rolls his coils in batches so he can just grap them from stock. This would have to be a one-off special, so I shall have to talk to him nicely.

Thanks for the info,

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Well, I've just contacted Loud Technologies for price and availability, and the part they are now using is:

Eminence Kappa 15B custom 15 ohm.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis