light delay component for old garage door operator

Interesting, I would have thought there'd be enough thermal conduction to melt it, I'll give it a shot if I ever have one break. Seems like brazing might be more reliable though.

Reply to
James Sweet

Greetings,

Crimp it, get a very small brass or copper tube, about an 1/8 inch in length and just big enough for two wires to fit in. take a piece of 22 ga wire and carefully wrap the very thin nichrome wire artound the 22 ga wire and slide the small tube over both wires and squeeze the tubing. take off a couple of turns to do this and leave some slack in it for flexing, see, the nichrome wire acts like a heater and is wrapped around a high temp insulator around a bi-metallic strip where the contacts are for the light. This does move and that is why they fail, heat and movement over time. Man that is an old unit, wish they were all made like those. Keep the motor bearings lubed and those units will last forever. Mine died last week, needed filter caps on the sequencer board, got replacements out of a junked monitor.

take care,

Markus

the bear>> : Almost thought I had one for you Howard, but not quite.

Reply to
Markus