LED alarm clocks all lose accuracy over time

So, they gave up and started the upgrade in the late '90s?

BPL isn't used around here. Progress Energy drives down the street and pings the transponders in their meters. The SW bands are fairly dead, these days. The SMPS in traffic lihts cause more noise than anything else, and appear to operate on the low end of the AM BCB,

I am near Orlando, Florida and have no problem with my WWVB clocks. The one in this room is about ten feet from several computers & monitors, yet it matches the internet time on the screen.

Who says they will cost that much? Custom ICs will make it into a single or two chip design. FQPSK would require a lot more processing, and the only place I used it was in the Microdyne DR2000 & RCB2000 telemetry recievers. Some people don't want to screw with wi-fi crap. There are times when every availible channel is full of noise

Michael A. Terrell

The carrier was amplitude modulated by reducing the carrier level, not CW.

The same carrier can be phase modulated and provide both data streams.

Michael A. Terrell

My guess(tm) is that it's the power supply in my DirecTV DVR. There are plenty of those out there.

The manual for the wx station says within 24 hrs. That makes sense as

60KHz skywave doesn't work too well until after about midnight. I suspect it's lucky to get one update per day. That should be sufficient to deal with any clock drift. When I was stupidly running it next to my computer/TV pile, it would never update. I vaguely recall that it drifted fast at about 5 minutes per month. Now that it gets updates, it's dead on. See:

Section 4, for recommended synchronization practices.

Nope. It's not two tone. It's a phase shift of the AM carrier, switching from 0 degrees to 180 degrees for 0/1. See video at:

I had thought that they were going to broadcast each separately, but apparently it's simply adding PSK to the existing AM carrier. Clever, methinks.

Yes, you have to modify the chip. However, it's really easy to build a BPSK to OOK (on off keying) converter, so an adapter is possible.

While it's possible to demodulate a 60KHz carrier with a sound card, it would require a high end 192KHz card, and not a generic card that maxes out at 44KHz.

Well, keep your eye on C-Max. When they produce a suitable BPSK chip, that should set the price point. It's this type of potentially high volume market that really attracts the chip vendors.

Kinda like the Windoze Phone 7?

It was really clever of MS to prematurely announce the WP8, and then leak that there's no upgrade path from the WP7 to the WP8.

Sigh. I assumed that it was too early for the marketing hype in the "atomic clock" market. My apologies for being so naive.

Incidentally, I designed stick-on metallic label, that you attach to your ordinary TV antenna, that turns it into an HDTV antenna.

Sorry, but zoning ordinances do not allow covering the neighborhood with giant antennas. The authorities claim that it attracts lightning, cosmic rays, and aliens from outer space.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Ummm. No. BPSK is a variant of Manchester encoding.

Binary Phase Shift Keying. Single frequency.

Reply to
josephkk

I have an LED alarm clock that definitely uses the powerline frequency to keep time. I know this because I have a rotary phase converter to supply three phase power to my shop. When ever I use certain CNC machines with DC spindle drives the clock runs much faster. When I use machines with VFD spindle drives the clock gains only a little time and when powering only induction motors the clock is not affected at all. Looking at the power in the house with an oscilloscope a friend of mine who designs inverter power supplies showed me the noise on the powerline when the machines were running. It is a cheap clock though and is the only one that has this behavior. Eric

Reply to
etpm