Leave fan on all the time, better for evaporator coils?

Was wondering if, for an A/C or Dehumidifier, are the evaporator coils MORE prone to rust if the fan is NOT allowed to keep running for a period of time after the compressor shuts off, or does that not make any difference in terms of rust developing in the evaporator coils. Seems to me if the fan is allowed to run for a period of time, this helps dry the evaporator coils...would that mean they are less likely to rust or corrode?

Also wondering if the compressor itself being shut off for as little as exactly 2 minutes is bad for a dehumidifier's compressor. I'm finding that most dehumidifiers I've tried can sometimes only turn off the compressor as little as 2 minutes at a time before turning the compressor back on, although the compressor stays on for longer period. Would I be better off just running it continuous mode for X hours per day and shutting it off with a timer for Y hours a day rather than leaving it on 24 hours with it cycling?

By the way, I did use a timer for a Friedrich (made by LG) unit, and, STILL, it only lasted 2 summers....can it be that if it says "Made in China" that I can only expect it to last 2 years no matter what...or was the unit that died after 2 years the exception? Is Amana better than Friedrich even though both are "Made in China"? The Amana is not believed to be made by LG.

J.

Reply to
nospamever

The evaporator shouldn't rust at all, they're normally made of aluminum, often with copper coils, but I've seen all-aluminum ones as well. Ideally the fan should run for a bit after the compressor shuts off to prevent bacterial growth though.

2 minutes is quite a short cycle, it's probably enough to let the pressure equalize, but I'd rather see something closer to 5 minutes for good measure.

Leaving it on all the time will definitely hit your electric bill, but it depends on how much it otherwise has to run to keep the place comfortable.

Reply to
James Sweet

Even ignoring the corrosion (which shouldn't be a problem, they're normally made to be wet), we leave our fan on all of the time. It avoids hot/cold spots in the house, and keeps us from needing to run it quite so much. Ceiling fans, even on low speed, help too.

steve

Reply to
Steve Wolfe