lead free solder

Arent't there some legal issues with that?

Reply to
mike

**You tell us - f*****ad

But round here = Australia where the RoHS directive is not law.

Nor is it law in Japan, North America and most places.

And would not give a shit if it was.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** A small correction....

**You tell us - f*****ad

But round here = Australia where the RoHS directive is not law.

Nor is it law in Japan, North America and most places.

And I would not give a shit if it was.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This week a 6 month old amp with 2 separate PbF faults found. Plus loads of other problems. Test with dummy load , then speaker. Place back in the cab and supposed final test - another damn intermittant fault. Maybe just induced by my localised handling on the power amp is enough to have disturbed another only just holding lead-free solder joint. Luckily the owner has another amp he cab use and this one can sit until next week when I may be in a calmer frame of mind .

Reply to
N_Cook

Of course. The increased number of failures due solely to solder joints has kept many a service department busy. Reworking with "decent" solder is the simplest treatment.

Reply to
who where

I've still not found out what they do in the automotive industry, re electronic engine management etc. All components will have that "lovely" mirror finish of tin tinning on all leads plus lead free solder? AKAIK they do not have a derogation to use proper solder. Cars are parked often in sub zero temperatures to start tin-pest and then extreme heat cycling and vibration is use, next to an engine ,is guaranteed to crack PbF. Toyotas ,with a mind of their own , comes to mind.

Reply to
N_Cook

Depends on where you are and if the device is yours or not. Here in the US we can use real solder that really works, so no issue. If you live where lead free is a commercial reality, who is going to know if you use good old 60/40 (63/37) to fix your own stuff? I've reworked many lead free boards with lead solder, and we use 100's of thousands of ROHS parts with good old 63/37.

Reply to
WangoTango

Oh GAWD yes. Its total garbage...

Reply to
boardjunkie1

Finally a fairly civil post that I can agree with from you. I know it's just bait and tomorrow there will be a subject Meat Plow is a MORONIC FUCKHEAD but we're very used to it.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

In article , Charles writes

This is a troll, isn't it?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Well.... I found this: Begin quote . I don't know whereabouts in the world you are, but across Europe, strictly speaking, it is actually illegal to use leaded solder, or non RoHS components, to repair anything manufactured in lead-free after implementation of the RoHS directive, which was June 2006 (I think) in the UK. end quote.

so I asked...rather politely...I think...

I give the above quote more credence as it is not riddled with name calling and four-letter terms of endearment. Also, the tone is quite civil.

Hmmmm...civil...I should find a word with which you'd likely be familiar? It's about being nice to people.

Note that I didn't ask if YOU cared. I asked if there were issues.

Reply to
mike

I think that's one of mine ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

" Meat Plow is a MORONIC FUCKHEAD "

** The simple truth.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"mike the moron "

** Totally asinine to post an unidentified quote.

How like you.

** It says nothing different to my post.

I live in Sydney, Australia you know.

** I were given a precise, detailed reply that when right over your pointy head.

Piss off TROLL.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Arfa Daily"

** Find me one example of a person being successfully prosecuted over it.

There is virtually no way to get caught, no easy way for outsiders to know and nobody gives a shit.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Not in Europe it isn't. There are heavy fines for doing that.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

"Adrian Tuddenham"

** The fines may exist in theory, but can you show if anyone has been fined for using the wrong solder for repairs ?

There are many obvious, simple defences to such a charge and almost no way to get caught.

Get real.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

For the UK, section 14 of the RoHS Regulation

A producer putting non-compliant EEE on the market on or after 1st July 2006 shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum, which the Home Office says is currently £5,000. Or "on conviction on indictment to fine" - there is no statutory maximum.

Producers failing to provide documents showing compliance within 28 days of an official request shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale. Level 5, coincidentally, is also £5,000 at the moment.

Failing to retain technical documentation for four years after EEE has been put on the market is also a not-exceeding-level-5 fine.

EEE= electrical and electronic equipment

Reply to
N_Cook

Did I say that there was ? No.

Nor did I say otherwise, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a possibility, or that I am stating anything other than the facts. Look up the meaning of your own word - "virtually". I suppose the poor bastard who got thrown in prison here for selling his bananas by the pound instead of the kilo thought the same thing. And if you don't know of that in Ozland, look up Steve Thoburn. The fact of the matter is that it *is* illegal within the EU under the terms of the directive, to carry out repairs to RoHS certified equipment manufactured after June 2006 and using RoHS certified components and lead-free solder, with anything other than RoHS certified components and lead-free solder. None of us like it. All of us think it is stupid. But none of that changes the facts. Nor does you running off at the mouth in your usual way about how big and brave you are and don't give a shit. The *real* fact of the matter is that you never know just who's spying on you via the 'net these days, and if one of the ecobollox EU people found someone on here from the EU telling all how they also "don't give a shit", then you might just finish up having your example of someone successfully prosecuted ... As you don't live in the EU, you know nothing of the levels of bureaucracy and petty mindedness of these officials.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

RoHS is an evil plot to do something - but its not clear exactly what!!!

The result out in the field is that electronic equipment is much less reliable and has a maximum life expectancy of around a couple of years.

Since the now 5x (or more!) as much electronics scrap is no longer permitted in landfill, it gets dumped on third world countries for slum dwellers to pick over mounds of the stuff for recyclable materials.

Reply to
Ian Field