LCD TV Repair

Hi All,

I see a fair amount of LCD TVs on eBay, on a regular basis, that are sold AS-IS because the units will not power up. There doesn't seem to be one manufacturer or model that has this problem more than others.

Some of these are going pretty cheap - would anyone with experience please give me some idea as to what the problem is likely to be, and how hard or expensive it might be to repair?

Kind of a loaded question, I know . . . just trying to figure out if it's worth the investment in a broken unit.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
bruce.gettel

Anything as is is a crap shoot. A screen can be bad even though it does not look that way not powered up. A logic board can cost as much as the unit did new (if you can even get one). If you lucky and just the backlight inverter is bad and you have the chops to fix it, you might come out ahead.

So much of this junk is non fixable. I had some car in dash LCD screen units that were trashed because the gearing that pull the screens out was striped. No name unit. No way to get parts.

Unless your a smart tech, the as is units have as much luck as you buying a power ball ticket and hitting.

Bob

Bob Urz

Many of these will probably have a broken panel, or it will break in shipping if it is not properly packaged and carefully handled. If you can find one locally and examine it first, you may find that it will power up but the picture is invisible due to the backlight not lighting. This is likely to be caused by a bad backlight(s), bad inverter, or both. If it is really dead and the panel is not physically damaged you should be able to repair it if you are familiar with switching power supplies.

Keep in mind that most picture quality problems cannot be repaired because the panel, its connectors and cables, and the board are likely to be permanently bonded to one another, ICs are either unavailable, or ridiculously expensive, and service manuals with schematics are not available.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

These sets sold on eBay are mostly not worth to service, and that is why they are so cheap. If the faults were as simple as the back lights, or back light supply, then these people would be fixing them, and then asking much higher prices.

The modules and parts if available to service these sets are very expensive. Mostly all the circuit boards are using SMD technology, and are very complex. Service manuals are not always available, and mostly are only basic for module replacement and adjustment where required. On board component service for most of these sets is not supported. For the most part, these LCD and Plasma sets are not feasible to service unless the fault is simple and low in cost to deal with.

--

JANA
_____

 wrote in message
Hi All,

I see a fair amount of LCD TVs on eBay, on a regular basis, that are
sold AS-IS because the units will not power up.  There doesn't seem to
be one manufacturer or model that has this problem more than others.

Some of these are going pretty cheap - would anyone with experience
please give me some idea as to what the problem is likely to be, and
how hard or expensive it might be to repair?

Kind of a loaded question, I know . . . just trying to figure out if
it's worth the investment in a broken unit.

Thanks in advance.
Reply to
JANA

Does it even matter with flat panels? Unless the problem is simple, the set is usually scrap anyway.

Reply to
James Sweet