LCD TV problem

Hello clever guys,

Please bear in mind I don't know much about electronics, but I am asking for advice really.

I have a 32" LCD TV (LG Electronics) about 3 years old. Recently I have noticed a distinct "shimmer" on the picture, most noticable when first switching the TV on. After it warms up, it is not really noticable until you put on some on-screen menu, or an image with sharp vertical lines - but it is definetly a lot worse when the TV is cold.

So being an adventurous type, I thought I would take the back off just in case I could see something obviously wrong (this has worked for me in the past, believe it or not!) my idea was maybe there was a lot of dust causing some chips to overheat, that kind of thing.

Anyhow, there was no dust, but I inspected the MB and noticed 3 capaitors that look in a bad way...they have their insides leaking out! As a human, I know that if MY insides were leaking out, I would not work too good!! I assume this capaitors work in the same was as humans in this respect.

So, my question is, could this be causing my "shimmer"? And if I buy 3 new capacitors (I assume these things are cheap cheap) and some nice chap to solder these in place of the sick ones, can I watch my TV in its former glory?

Thanks for your time.

Reply to
porkchp

Wonderful post ... I am still laughing. Hey, go for it. Change the capacitors and see what happens.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Yes, if the contents of the capacitors has not damaged the circuit board, this may solve your problem. You should check for other bulging or leaking caps and change them too.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

Thanks guys, this is all I needed to hear. I don't think the circuit board can be too damaged, as the TV still have an excellent picture after a few minutes. I will get them replaced and let you know what happens.

Cheers!

Reply to
PorkChop

The electros are cheap, but those nice chaps are damned expensive to buy - had you thought about just renting one for the day instead?

David

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

It might not hurt to take a small toothbrush,and a bit of iso/rubbing alcohol and carefully clean the capacitor "goo" off of the circuit board too.That stuff is corrosive,and may cause problems later on.

Reply to
PhattyMo

I have found someone at work who can do soldering, so thanks everyone for some good advice. Cleaning the goo off the circuit board sounds like a good idea too (I will use my wife's toothbrush).

Reply to
PorkChop

If the electrolyte sits on the board for long, it will be damaged. That stuff corrodes copper like crazy.

Reply to
James Sweet

As long as she uses yours to apply her haemorrhoid cream.

+ Required crap appended to avoid restrictions imposed by brain   +
+ damaged idiots.
+
+ Server Response: '441 Posting Failed (Rejected by POST filter)', +
+ Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 441,
+
+ Error Number: 0x800CCCA9
+
Homer J Simpson

If you do, you'll need a new toothbrush, or a new wife.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hi!

I'd strongly suggest the new toothbrush route. :-)

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

What if the wife is already out of warranty?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If he does, he may not NEED a toothbrush any more.

Reply to
JW

you guys crack me up. LOL

Reply to
Mike

Its a nasty job, but I have nothing else to do while its raining. :(

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.