Lamp part repair

I'm planning to repair the lamp as shown in

. I'm confused what's the black part called as I suspect that particular part is the culprit of the light bulb not turning on (the light bulb is brand new and the contacts looked burnt). Any suggestions would be most welcomed. Thanks!

Reply to
ssylee

b.html

Socket.

Can be found in various iterations at Home Depot. If you can afford it, get one that is ceramic vs. bakelite or plastic.

if it will fit. Otherwise:

et-600380.aspx

Mind the exposed connections on the back of it, especially if that is a metal housing. You may have to transfer the cover cap from the old one.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

The socket?

It's easy enough to do, however if you have to ask what it's called, I suggest you do some reading or get someone experienced to help you, or just buy a new lamp. Done wrong it can be a shock or fire hazzard.

Google replacing a lamp socket, there should be some DIY resources out there. Any hardware store or book store will have DIY electrical or general home repair books will have pictures and instructions for tasks like that. A book is a good investment that you can use for other projects too.

Reply to
James Sweet

Wise advice. I always tell people that their very first electronics project should not be something safety-critical.

Reply to
mc

Also, it could be a very quick job for an appliance repair shop.

Reply to
mc

b.html

You haven't been using a higher-rated bulb than the lamp can take, have you?

Reply to
Tov