Indium Tin Solder what is it used for

I realize this night be OT but I recently got some Indium Tin Solder and was hoping somebody could tell me what it was used for . this is a 52/48 alloy in the form on .020 wire. The manufactured Arconium has been bought out and no longer makes the wire Thanks

Reply to
BoborAnn

was

Lead free?

NSM

I'm pretty sure that indium can "tin" some kinds of glass. It's used for vacuum seals and such.

Isaac

Reply to
Isaac Wingfield

It's a lead free replacement for solder. However, it has some severe limitations. For example, it can't be used to solder copper because it alloys with the copper forming a brittle mess. Some techy details from the Indium Corp at:

One of the major applications of indium is gold soldering. The addition of indium reduces the tendency for gold to disolve into the joint. Some other indium applications are listed at:
Its ability to bond glass, quartz, and ceramics make it useful for RF semiconductors, hybrids, and ceramic substrate soldering.

# 831.336.2558 voice  http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
#                     http://802.11junk.com
#                     jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
#                     jeffl@cruzio.com     AE6KS