HP 3561A

What there is of a service manual is at :

ice.pdf

I do believe an actual schematic would help. I need the vertical deflection circuit.

OK, I blew out the power supply by making a short with the probe at the inp ut to the -12 volt regulator. Of course it has an obscure HP part number on it but I can see it is a simple 7912 regulator. It is possible I blew it s horting the input if it has alot of capacitance on the output but that is n ot really an issue right now. First I will get the power supply up again. T he referenced URL there has some basic block diagrams, and I am pretty sure I just blew a fusible somewhere.

But the reason I was in there in the first place is because it has a fault in the vertical sweep - foldover. Like on a TV when the boost cap or circui t fails, EXCEPT on this baby it is at the bottom of the raster as it does n ot scan top to bottom, but bottom to top.

It is not easy to follow this circuit because of the two sided board, but n ot impossible. The problem is that those people could put anything anywhere , and do. I can tell the vertical output is common emitter complementary pu sh pull. The collectors are hooked together and are the output high side.

I do not see a third "retrace" transistor anywhere, but knowing how enginee rs are it might be on the frikken control panel or something. Also, retrace boosters are hard to implement with a common emitter push pull circuit.

I actually cannot see the yoke, but observing the high side of the vertical output I know it has one because it looks pretty much like the yoke drive in a TV. If electrostatic it would just be a sawtooth wave.

I would really like to see a detailed schematic of the vertical circuit her e. I do not just "try" parts to see if that was the fault usually and I am certainly not going to start on something like this. I know that in instrum entation I cannot get away with some of the shit you can flub in a TV set o r a stereo. I learned the hard way that when they say 15 volts they do not mean 16.5 is OK, it usually is not.

The thing puts out the waveform incoming along with the spectral analysis a t the top. A sine wave was showing what looks like severe crossover distort ion in an audio amp, but another scope confirmed it was not like that. Look ed a little closer and the raster is not filling the screen and there is a compression right there. I also think I am missing one of the function name s. They are on screen next to the buttons and none of that lines up of cour se.

Anyway, I am seeing hints of a "Volume 2" of the service manual which I sus pect contains the information I want. I have been almost everywhere and it is not to be found. If anyone has it I need it, even if you have it on pape r and could scan me a JPG of the vertical circuit would be fine. (if you ca n't get my email from this post I will give it to you, unless you can Dropb ox it or something)

Really, I can probably do it without but it would take a hell of alot more time.

Thanks in advance for anything helpful.

Reply to
jurb6006

It might be a good idea to check. Google for "HP part number cross reference" and you'll find various lists. This one looks good:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Thanks, that might come in handy.

Looks like I have to RTFM even with what I got. This thing shut down with a slip of the probe and now appears to need to be reset. There doesn't seem to be any bad components but there is no drive to the power supply choppers . I am going to make surer of that later today I think. It is difficult to access anything to test so I'll do hat I usually do - stick a wire on it an d slide the card back in.

The way this thing is put together I can't even find the main transformer ! I pretty much know where it is but can't see hide nor hair of it.

This is another one where I look at how it is built and go "Why ?". They go t the choppers on a standup car, the transformer on the motherboard and the rectifiers on another standup card. The logical assumption is they intende d for service to be able to be performed on a modular level. All fine and g ood, but a part of me goes "Are you kidding ?".

I can't bitch. I couldn't design the thing at all. But I can go "Huh ?".

Anyway, thanks. And if you catch wind of any "reset" routine for HP stuff l et me know. I am going to triple check that there are no blown components, like fuzibes n shit.

Reply to
jurb6006

With everything on sub-boards the first suspects are the card edge connectors. Take a close look at the sockets to see if the plastic is breaking down and the body of the edge connector socket is spreading out at the middle.

Of course clean the PCB edge connectors, etc...

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

There is a lot of info on the 3561A on the Yahoo HP-Agilent_equipment group including a PSU schematic in the files section. You might want to sign up with them. A quick read through and there's a lot about flyback burnup but I'm not familiar with the unit. I can send the PSU schematic if your email address is valid, size 3MB

Reply to
JC

I couldn't find anything on a "reset" procedure. Maybe try the operating manual instead of the service manual:

Incidentally, the 7912 regulator is short circuit protected and should easily recover from a short to ground. It's probably something else that blew. I would guess(tm) a fuse.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Not this time. I understand what you are saying but in this case that isn't it. I did look at the connectors actually and they are that blue plastic. I KNOW that blue plastic is not stronger or better due to its color but I t hink they have a tendency to only use that color for really good plastic. T haat is really only an impression I got, but it is based on real world obse rvations.

At any rate, I looked at them pretty good and they are not splitting. And t he fact that the new fault came after I sliped with the probe, that ain't i t, at least right now.

Been wiping the edge down with LPS2 which is really fantastic. Never ever b ecomes conductive and really does the job better than I thought it should. Someone showed it to me about 35+ years ago and I have been sold ever since . I have never ever used Deoxit, I simply have no need for it.

Reply to
jurb6006

th a slip of the probe and now appears to need to be reset. There doesn't s eem to be any bad components but there is no drive to the power supply chop pers. I am going to make surer of that later today I think. It is difficult to access anything to test so I'll do hat I usually do - stick a wire on i t and slide the card back in.

er ! I pretty much know where it is but can't see hide nor hair of it.

y got the choppers on a standup car, the transformer on the motherboard and the rectifiers on another standup card. The logical assumption is they int ended for service to be able to be performed on a modular level. All fine a nd good, but a part of me goes "Are you kidding ?".

.

ff let me know. I am going to triple check that there are no blown componen ts, like fuzibes n shit.

I would GREATLY appreciate the PSU print. It is JURB six zero zero six at g mail dot com. (numbers are numerals) That would be great so I can see what I have to do to get at least back to where I started. I am starting to thin k it needs some sort of software reset but that might not be true. No way t o tell.

Reply to
jurb6006

emailed it to you, let me know if you don't receive.

Reply to
JC

I got it. Thanks.

Next, once it is up and running again I got to tackle that vertical circuit . I noticed alot of hash on the output of a 12 volt regulator, not sure if that is the cause of the problem. I don't even know what supplies it runs o ff of. I did see the vertical drive waveform but I did not note its amplitu de. It could have been ten volts or fifty. I wasn't looking for amplitude, I was looking for that little glitch in it. It was there. It indicates an u pset for the feedback loop, because of the inability of the circuit to impr ess the voltage on the (yoke) coil to result in a sawtooth current.

We will be getting back to that soon. I will check everything.

Reply to
jurb6006

If you want to spend some beans the manual is here for download

There's a guy here with one, recent blog, maybe you can help each other out.

JC

And if not, I posted it here:

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

has both the service and the operating maunuals. Keysight it the latest name change for HP test equipment.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They actually do not have volume two of the service manual. We just got it, ON PAPER. Quite illustrating. The unit is up and running again with the replacement of a 7912. Apparently my shenanegins made leaky the device inside there.

I am back to the vertical sweep problem now. I'll probably get back into it next weekend. Give it some thought in the meantime.

Reply to
jurb6006

So now, with the coveted volume two in hand, I see they call the vertical horizontal and the horizontal vertical. The print does depict what I had been reverse engineering. I think on page 7-249.

The vertical circuit does not use a boost cap, switcher or diodes as far as I can tell. Simple transconductance (current) amp run off a ramp.

It has vertical foldover, that is usually caused by not enough voltage peak on retrace. In an old TV it would almost certainly be a bad lytic. But this does not use that type of circuit.

Actually it might be a bit of fun doing this. I have to put leads on the board to test it because it is shielded. What's more, the way it is I have to use insulated wire. Alot of times I have just used solder, but that won't work with this.

Reply to
jurb6006

Well well well, they did not misname them, the raster lines are vertical. So I finds a cap off the flyback causing the compression.

Now the phasing is off. I looks like there is a foldover on the bottom but there isn't. Turning up the brightness to the point of seeing the whole raster it is fine.

Reply to
jurb6006

How the hell do these posts get on other websites ?

jurb6006

They're just like Google Groups--parasitic but sometimes useful. electronicsrelated.com is the same sort of thing.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs