how to remove alkaline battery residue

I recently discovered that caustic soda in an ultrasonic cleaner is capable of etching the glaze off of spark plug insulators.

Reply to
ian field

Okay, but we're talking about acids directly applied to porcelain.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:i5gdq0$ppo$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I read that vomit can etch porcelain tile. that's HCl. saw mention on Google that phosphoric acid etches porcelain.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Don't pour any Diet Coke in the sink!

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Googling.... See the "acid resistance" and "alkali resistance" sections at:

The degree of attack by acid solution on porcelain enamels appears to depend less on the type of solution than on its pH.

"Chemical Resistance of Porcelain Enamel at various Temperature Levels"

Looks very good for both base and acidic. However, hot ammonium hydroxide (common household ammonia) looks like a potential problem. I usually mix the stuff with hot water when washing the floor and dump it in the toilet. It's not concentrated, but it might cause a problem because it's warm.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in news:i5gjjc$llc$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

hell,don't pour any down your throat. carbonated sodas erode(etch) teeth enamel. I had to stop drinking it because it was giving me heartburn. I'm just an old fart....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I used a rust remover that seems to give good result. Rinse after with water to remove residue.

--

batch

from

chemical