How to connect misc rotor to Radio Shack control

Just bought a house. It has a tv tower with a rotor up there. I don't wanna climb up to it so I wonder if there a way to hook up with out knowing what I have.

The rotor(brand unknown) has a cable coming down from it which has 4 wires. One wire has NO continuity between the others. The other 3 wires all have continuity between each other.

My Radio Shack controller has terminals for 3 wires.

I know this probably sounds like a stupid question, but is there a way to know what wires go to what, and how (or if) they can be hooked up to my controller.

The only equipment I have for testing is a multimeter.

Reply to
Fedthecat

The have to be compatible for their designed match, There is the voltage, if the motor is DC or AC driven, and the position referencing has to be compatible.

If you can find out the manufacture name on the rotor, then you can maybe buy the controller for it.

Why not contact the previous owner of the house, to ask him for the rotor controller? If he has it, offer to pay the shipping charges.

The other alternative is to install a new rotor system. This is probably the best alternative, because the one that is up there, is most likely very old. Also, while you are up there, it pays to put in a new antenna, since these corrode and degrade over time.

--

JANA _____

The rotor(brand unknown) has a cable coming down from it which has 4 wires. One wire has NO continuity between the others. The other 3 wires all have continuity between each other.

My Radio Shack controller has terminals for 3 wires.

I know this probably sounds like a stupid question, but is there a way to know what wires go to what, and how (or if) they can be hooked up to my controller.

The only equipment I have for testing is a multimeter.

Reply to
JANA

most rotators are 24 volts.

can you measure 24 volts coming out of the controller

if so, just try it for a few seconds. (leave the 4th wire without continutity not connected, just use the three)

if you connect wrong, the motor may bo backwards or not go both ways but won't hurt anything if you leave it on only for a few seconds.

when you get the right combination it will turn both ways.

Mark

Reply to
Mark