How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?

How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?

I spent an hour on the Android phone with a friend, and because we
kept getting dicsonnected on whatsapp and also on Skype, the phone's
screen was on all the time, but I was plugged into a small cubicle
charger the whole time, and the phone charge stayed at 77% the whole
time.

Then the phone call ended, I closed the light, but left the phone on,
and let it finish charging for an hour.   But after an hour or more,
it was still at 77%.

How can that be?

Later I was able to recharge the battery fully, use some and recharge
over and over up until now.   Using a different cable.   But if the
cable were bad, how to account for the first paragraph??

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?

Any chance one of those apps didn't really shut down due to a bug?  Or
maybe the charge indicator is (was) out of calibration.  Or maybe
something was sensed as too hot (the battery? the charger?) and didn't
work until it cooled down.  Just wild guesses.

Pat

How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?
wrote:

Whenever I have state-of-the-art questions about computer software/hardware, I try to visit the PC Gaming or PC Magazine websites.

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?

Could be a quirk of the battery controller in your phone.  Or perhaps
the 'small cubicle charger' (whatever that is) could supply sufficient
current to keep the phone going, but not enough voltage to bring the
battery to a full charge.  I think a long thin cable might have enough
resistance to have that effect, or one with a damaged conductor.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
--  Whiskers

Since the phone was on continuously, probably with full backlighting,
and apparently while talking, it was drawing quite a bit of current
from the battery.  If your "small cubicle charger" was a gutless clone
charger, that can only supply perhaps 0.5A at 5V to the charge
controller in the phone, you could have been breaking even.  If the
total draw equals the charge current, then the phone is running off
the charger, not the battery, and the battery SoC (state of charge)
remains unchanged.  You'll need to supply some more numbers to verify
this.  One of these will help with the charger part of the puzzle:
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/222262460143

However, you may have had a different problem.  The constant 77%
indication suggests that whatever is delivering this number (OS or
some app) is hung.  Since it recovered later, did you reboot the
phone?

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?

How old is the battery?  Maybe it never gets above 77% until you get a
new battery.

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

I may have turned it off.   It charges faster when off, though one
friend of mine told me it only charges when on! Huh? I'm sure mine
isn't different from his.

It doesn't charge very fast when on, even when the screen is black.
But I know the lit screen runs the battery down far faster than with
an unlit screen.   So if the charger can keep pace when the screen is
lit, why doesn't it charge faster when the screen is unlit.

Maybe Whiskers is right. The voltage of the charger is exactly or very
close to the voltage of the battery, so the charger can also run the
phone but it can't charge the battery.

How do those rechargers work, the size of a cigarette pack or so that
charge when there is no outlet?   Do they use a different battery that
puts out more voltage**, or do they just even out the charge, like if
you have an empty glass and a full glass, and you pour half a glass
into the empty one?       **If the charger put out more voltage it
would take that much longer to recharge, and would never recharge from
the little cube (maybe not cubicle) charger I brought and my friend
also lent me.  (I brought a bigger one too, that came with the phone,
but mostly I'm using the laptop port..)

The battery was new with the phone last June or July, but as I said,
later I fully charged it, to 100%.  And I have done that at least 10
times since.  Using a different cable.

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?

Well, there's an easy way to find out.  Buy one of the various USB
ammeters and measure what the charger is doing.
<http://www.ebay.com/itm/222262460143
So, I tried it.  I turned off my Samsung S6 phone and plugged in the
stock Samsung 2amp charger.  The screen showed a gray battery symbol
with an ominous lightning bolt in the middle, which I assume means
that it's either charging or self destructing.  The gray battery
symbol then filled up to 100% because the phone was already fully
charged.  The screen then announced that "This phone is capable of
wireless charging".  It would appear that the S6 is capable of
charging when turned off.

What is "it"?  Maker and model please.  If you plug a 0.5A or 1A
charge into a phone that was designed to use a 2A charger, it will
take much longer to charge.

It does charge faster with the screen off.  If the charger is
delivering 0.5Amps, and the screen is drawing 0.4Amps, then the
battery is only getting 0.1Amps.

The LiIon external "I forgot to charge my phone" devices have one or
more LiIon cells inside.  Depending on the number of cells and feature
list, a DC to DC inverter produces 5.0VDC at the USB connector.
Circuitry on the PCB also take care of charging the LiIon batteries
from a USB 5.0VDC charger.  The voltage is always 5.0VDC.

To the phone, these devices look like a 1A or 2A USB charger.  They
supply 5.0VDC to the phone.  The charge controller inside the phone
decides how much current to suck out of the device, which is then used
to charge the phone battery or run the phone.

I have a bunch of these that I inherited from various disreputable
sources.  They work well at moderating my erratic charging habits.
None of them even come close to their advertised capacity (in mA-hrs).

I bought a bag of very thin USB to microUSB cables (in 10 assorted
colors) on eBay to give to friends as holiday bribes.  No problems or
complaints yet.  At the low price of these cables, if you suspect a
problem, just replace it or try a heavier cable.

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?
On top of what has been said, some chargers simply refuse to recharge when
the battery is not low enough. Look at laptops, if you don't USE the batter
y the thing will stop recharging period. Some of them you have to take the
battery out and unplug them to get them to charge again if you do not use t
he battery.

If the circuitry reads the battery as charged "enough" it may well refuse t
o charge. It depends on the make and model and type of battery.

Some of them you cannot just "top off" like an old car battery in a 1967 Ch
evy. They actually require cycling to work properly. So even if it causes y
ou an inconvenience by dying a bit son, the point of the circuitry is to pr
eserve the battery.

The technology is much better than it used to be but is still not perfect,
especially when you require amp/hours out of a battery thinner than your cr
edit card. Also, overcharging low quality batteries has been know to cause
them to explode.

So when something like this happens, disconnect everythng, and if you canno
t take the battery out, make sure to run it down. Watch ten movies on it or
 whatever, unplugged. Run it down to like 40 % and I bet it will charge. If
 not, there might be something wrong with it. (or the charger of course)

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?

Of all the answers you've received this far, none proposes as candidate
explanation what I'm about to suggest, which is: the phone's charge
circuitry simply failed accurately to detect the new state the phone
entered once the call ended, the charging function simply stopped, and the
charge level never increased beyond the 77% you saw.

Once you turned the phone off and on again (or hibernated and reawakened
it), the state change became more obvious, and charging proceeded normally,
recharging fully.

I've encountered similar "losing track of the phone's state" events with an
old WinMo Motorola handset (a Q9m). Switching the phone off and on again
resets everything back to normal. Kinda like "stty sane" in Unix/Linux :-).

HTH, though YMMV. Cheers, -- tlvp

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?
charge in use

and

charge not in use

are 2 separate circuits

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?

SUI

Re: How can it keep charged in use, but be unable to recharge?
ahhhhhhhhh  next week's allowance

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YALV0NG?psc=1

whattsa booyalvong ? Utahspeak ?

Site Timeline