Home made fix to charging problems?

I have had my toshiba laptop for a year and a month...I say this because my warranty expired a month ago lucky me. Anyways it gets hot real hot so i have a tendency of tippin it backwards when im trying to use it for something quick and dont feel like putting it on the cooling tray. In this event i ruined the cord. So i hopped on ebay and bought a universal. Due to laziness I start tipping the laptop again and break the little prongs on the universal. I have a friend make me a make shift charger that has the right pollarity and such(excuse the spelling im a electronic retard) so this power supply works fine until my next ebay cord is coming till one day it stop charging. So i get the proper cord and still no power. I looked into the hole where the power supply plugs in and it would appear that some solder is melted and crack probably due to the heat,,,,,WHO KNOWS! I find out my warranty expired a month ago so no help from them. Im lost on what to do now. Is there a way of charging battery without using the laptop or I saw a post of someone who fixed the soldering problem but didnt catch how he did it....I have a friend pretty knowledgable of such things. But before presenting this to him I would like to have a few sollutions from you smart people on how to remedy this problem........Thanks for reading this dreery story and thanks for any help given. Shari

Reply to
shedabosss

It is possible that stress from leaning the laptop back has cracked the solder joints from the power connector to the pcb. If that were the case more than likely it could be be fixed by simply resoldering the connections. I might suggest adding a pigtail wire, replacing the connector, so that you'd not have this problem in the future.

The problem could also be caused from an improper charger polarity or voltage and would result in a more difficult repair requiring replacement of components.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Sounds like the common problem. Happens in Dells and Fujitsu to my knowledge. I've fixed a few by dismantling the laptop, removing the connector, repairing the joints within the connector (dismembering it in the case of old Dells) and replacing and re-assembling. Usually works. It's the case of repairing something (cheaply yourself) that the professionals do by replacing the system board (at big cost). Just takes a bit of time and care. Preferably someone who's done a few before... hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

Personally I would have knocked up a simple charger circuit.

Due to the current it would probably need to be a switch mode power supply.

Marra