Hitachi D-135 8 track player/recorder repair

Got is out of a dumpster, stretched belt as usual but after belt replacement the motor still can't manage to play the tapes without skew, there's no trouble moving flywheel and tape transport seems to be fine, the problem is even with fresh repaired cartridges. It's so easy to stop the spinning motor with my fingers that i wonder if it's normal, however the motor spins freely without power. Any suggestions on how i could fix this? My first test would be applying external power to the motor.

Cheetah

Reply to
CheetahHugger

What is `skew` ? Many times the tape head gets dirty or off track so the music sounds very muffled . Other thing is the motor speed gets off .

Reply to
Ken G.

check the surface of the capstan which contacts the tape....

-B

The problem is a weak motor, i have 6V on the motor but it takes so little effort to stop the motor that i wonder if i have a power fault or bad motor, capstan and flywheel are ok. Everything moves freely. The motor just can't pull it, faulty motor?

Cheetah

Reply to
CheetahHugger

Does the motor turn freely if not a little lubricant might help.

Reply to
mark

Again, everything moves freely, that includes the motor shaft which i can spin by hand and it will take some time to stop so no, the motor is not jammed, neither any other parts so again my question, am i dealing with a faulty motor (how likely?) or is there a power problem. At first i'd say power is good but you never know.

Cheetah

Reply to
CheetahHugger