help with circuit repair

I have a small, handheld geiger counter made by a firm called RDX Nuclear (model is DX-1). Unfortunately, a much younger family member than I decided to try putting a 9V battery in it, but he put it in the wrong way before I could intercept him. Now, when the activation button is pressed, all I'm getting is a constant tone. Within the tone, I can hear individual clicking as if it is still taking counts, but that's it. Also, the indication needle is pegged. Here is an image of the top of the circuit board:

Unfortunately, I've never seen a schematic of this unit on the web even though it seems to be sold all over the place. Contacting RDX, all they want to do is replace that tiny board... for $120. So, if you hooked it up backwards, what would you check first? I did check the diodes and they all seem fine.

Reply to
JB Haskins

=================

** The CMOS IC is the most likely be damaged.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thank you, that's what I have suspected as well.

Reply to
JB Haskins

Given the seeming simplicity of that board in your image (it appears to be a single sided board) have you considered investing a moderate amount of time into reverse engineering a schematic by following which traces on the underside connect to which components from the top?

Reply to
Rich

The last time I tried to do that, it turned out to be a disaster although what I tried it with was a little more complex. Still, I might give it a go with this one. I already ordered a replacement IC and the transistors on the board- all are common parts and not expensive. Actually ordered more than one of each since I own at least two of these geiger counters.

Reply to
JB Haskins

Am 15.02.2021 um 22:08 schrieb JB Haskins:

Please remember to remove the loose screw underneath the pcb

-UP

Reply to
Newdo

Very observant! That's actually the pcb board screw and there so I don't lose it (unfortunately, I have a habit of losing screws). Luckily, the only way to power it on is by having the board re-secured with that screw so no worries.

Reply to
JB Haskins

Small medicine bottles make good screw holding containers.

Of course, you then have to not lose the small medicine bottle containing the screws.

Reply to
Rich

Comes in various sizes and configurations. That my bench also has a sheet-metal insert under the working surface also helps. Yes, the insert is fully insulated electrically.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.

Better to stick a refrigerator magnet to the case and put the screws on the magnet.

Reply to
root

Clearly there are no cats in your household.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
Peter W.