Help! How do you solder epoxy-coated copper threads?

Help! How do you solder coated copper threads? Here is a photo of the stripped common, left, and right wires on a new set of home audio stereo headphones:

I bought these with the intention of wiring them into something, but upon cutting the 1/8" stereo phone jack off, I find the left & right red- and blue-coated (epoxied?) wires reject solder. I was hoping if I held the hot bead of solder against the red wire long enough, it would melt through the coating and stick; no.

How does one make a connection to these types of coated wires? (If anyone here's built homespun choke coils or transformers, how to you make a connection to those?)

Thanks

- Goodmusic

Reply to
Good Music

Found the answers through some websearches:

  1. It's an enamel coating, not epoxy

  1. First choice seems to be burn it off with solder; doesn't work on this wire

  2. Last choice due to possibly nicking/weakening wire is scrape off some of the enamel with a sharp knife; will go this route.

- Goodmusic

hot

Reply to
Good Music

You might have some luck with solvents like acetone or mek. Use in a well-ventilated area.

Reply to
stickyfox

The last method is the most difficult and not recommended. The easiest way is to dip the wire into some fast acting paint stripper to the required depth then wait a few minutes and simply wipe it off with a cloth.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Use a lighter with low flame, & then a sharp knife to scrape off the excess. Sky.

Reply to
Skype_man