Help Fixing Philips Magnavox 25ts54 TV

I have a Philips Magnavox TV that's on the outs.

Model #: 25TS54 C122 Chassis: 25B800-7652

It turns on for a few seconds, no picture, the screen starts t brighten a gray color with horizontal lines, then it turns itself of after 4-5 seconds. I've scanned the internet and searched for som answers. I don't believe it's the vertical IC since no colors ar displayed. I could be wrong.

I've read other people having extremely similar, if not the exact sam problem, with Philips Magnavox TV's. With the 27 inch TV's, seems mos common culprit is a resistor known as the R3340. One person who fixe their set actually took pictures of their board and fix. Althoug similar my board is different. Now on my circuit board on the tube it's labeled 25"-27" CRT Board APT187, but no 3340 resistor. Resisto designation seems relative to the board.

Called repair shops and they're looking to charge $200. I could buy new TV for that much. If possible, I would like to repair this T myself, or it will unfortunately be taken to the curb. Is anyone ou there familiar with this make/model and problem? Any suggestions on ho to repair this TV myself? From what I've read, the fix (replacing resistor or cap) seems fairly easy and I don't mind giving it a shot.

Thanks for any help

--
dgf
Reply to

I recall fixing a Phillips/Magnavox 27" recently and can't remember if this was the exact failure mode. However, you have some clues here. With a full gray raster, you seem to have functional vertical and horizontal sweep stages. That would seem to indicate a problem in the front end circuits, like the tuner complex and video processing, etc. You did not mention if the audio was functioning. My guess is that perhaps a scan derived secondary voltage is excessively loaded (one which powers the front end ckts) and the over current protection circuit is shutting the set down, as it should.

The set I repaired had an intermittent failure which wound up being a fractured solder connection on a 1 or 2 watt size resistor on the main board.

Just some food for thought. Good luck.

Reply to
Rick Cantellya