help diagnose old circuit board, fault

Depending on the config, shift registers were often used as switch debouncers. Sorry I can't help with any more diagnosis. J

Reply to
John Hudak

All of you?

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Only when they are wearing sox with a red color ... ;~)

But actually, both are correct, depending on which side of the pond you live ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Its time to help out the poor brits, again. We need to supply them with new Electroshock Therapy Machines.

Their current design just isn't up to the job at hand. It has settings for Fop, Layabout, and Damn Demented Donkey.

What they need is the new model with 'Straighten out your shit, or else', "You've been warned', "This is you last chance!', and 'Cinder' settings.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ahh, the American way.. god bless America

Reply to
Ron(UK)

I'd be pulling out a Logic Probe about now and checking what happens on the lines to the switches. One of them at least should be pulsing (the strobe). If the switches that do not work share the same Strobe or Return line and no other switches do them your problem is either a bad connection (most likely) or a failed driver on the strobe (next likely) or damaged return gate.

Read up on digital troubleshooting, there are a number of books at libraries that cover this and based on the period of construction for this sewing machine one can hope they used off-the-shelf parts so it will be easy to fix.

John :-#)#

--
  (Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)  John's
Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9      Call

"robb" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

They use the same I/O lines to multiplex the display and the keypad. Not at all uncommon.

Reply to
Gary Tait

at

Thanks Gary,

Could you elaborate on that a bit more ? as i am a mere amateur

i have traced one side of switches back to the Q22-Q30 lines ?

the general layout is ... that two button/switches {increment, decrement} will share a line to one Q## output and repeat for 12 pairs of buttons (total 12x2 or 24 button/switches)

the other side of the switches get bundled/connected together into two groups of 12, that each group shares one line down the ribbon to the main controler board (with 12k resistor just before going down ribbon wire)

so the Q## pins on the SN75518 are Outputs ... So i guess there is some sort of timed pulsing and controler board has to figure out which button was pressed ?

thanks for your help, rob

Reply to
robb

and

ok i have posted partial schemat that i made by hand for the pertinent part of the button circuit board it does not include the VFD connections which are inline with the button connections nor the indiocator LEDS that mostly just connect to the DM7496 chips.

id therea good way to turn a MM into logic probe ? i am using the Fluke 177 true RMS meter

thanks again for any help, rob

Reply to
robb

that was posted on the

alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Reply to
robb

and

first thanks to everyone for your time and help,

OK, so i followed most of suggestions from everyone

check and follow traces from the switches, to ribbon, to the VFD SN75518 and to the main board ( traces ok ) then probe signals from the buttons (problem) so i connected up my toy O-Scope (you'd never guess and fall on floor) and found no signal from the two VFD pins going to two broken butons and a mangled signal to the other button that does not work

i noticed several pins not connected to anything with good wave form can i just reroute the broken lines to those or do i need to just replace ic ?

thanks again for help from all that tried, rob

Reply to
robb

Have any stray British EE donkeys that you'd like to test it on?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida